PDA

View Full Version : my home made doll

dollman2
18-07-2012, 08:22 PM
This was a build done about two months ago before finding this great site for people who love dolls. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos of the first build so I decided to rebuild, make some alterations and photograph it this time.

I started with a Flexible Foam mannequin like this 1.jpg

Unfortunately this mannequin was not as flexible as suggested when I tried to bend her legs to sit her in a chair the foam tore and I couldn’t get the joints to bend in the same place twice.
I decided to build a skeleton for her so that I could have better pose ability and have the joints bend in the same place on each limb. I decided to go with wood for my first skeleton as it would be easier for me to work with.

I made the wooden lower skeleton and part spine (2.jpg)

Then I cut and measured the foam parts to fit on the skeleton I used some white rhino tape to hold the foam together. This worked it sticks well to the foam but dose come loose if it’s rubbed a lot like the hips and thigh.
(3.jpg) (4.jpg)

dollman2
18-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately the arms are lift up to detach type which had them falling off when she was moved around.
(5.jpg)

After some brain storming and brute force, I removed the hook clips and used a bolt to hold them in place. I then had to cut a small piece from the shoulder to access the securing nut.
(6.jpg)

I assembled the frame for the legs and added some tape to the joints as they were a little loose.
(7.jpg)

After finishing the leg frame I made the hips and spine which were also a little loose after tightening up the joints with tape I started fitting the foam parts for the legs.
(8.jpg 9.jpg)

dollman2
18-07-2012, 08:34 PM
After fitting the foam parts on feet, shins and thighs I started cutting and fitting the foam hips and taped the securely in to place.
(10.jpg)

Once secure I started fitting the upper body and bolting the arms on after fitting the arms and covering the holes.
(11)

I then fitted the upper body to the remaining spine and secured to the rest of the body
(12)

I then put on her soft foam head I spent some time looking for a face that could be used instead of the original head and found a PVC head cheap on eBay. And wig. Unfortunately the head looked a much lighter skin tone in the photo.
(13-14)

After a long week I had finished and only need to put on some skin.
(15-16)

dollman2
18-07-2012, 08:35 PM
the final 2 pics

Kats012
18-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Incredible! I'm greatly impressed and what a lot of work!
Amazing this forum and the people in it! Some great problem-solving ideas there - I particularly like the shoulder wingnut as this area seems a weak point on my Teddy Babe so one day maybe! Keep us posted.

dollman2
18-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Incredible! I'm greatly impressed and what a lot of work!
Amazing this forum and the people in it! Some great problem-solving ideas there - I particularly like the shoulder wingnut as this area seems a weak point on my Teddy Babe so one day maybe! Keep us posted.

thank you it's great when people are supportive for a project.

dollman2
18-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Nice job, and like the wood inside, bones and joints, as it is what most can make and light.

Yes the foam Mann: will only bend 3 ou 4 times at the legs, the only ones that will bend with out damage to the foam is the polly dolly, that i used on dancing shoe dolly.

mine split first time the leg started to bend to low so when i went to sit her in the chair she just slid off.
i tried to bend the leg at the hip and tore the foam i used the wood as i live near a building site and they have lots of bits they were throwing out. an as i have never used power tools i didn't want to spend a lot then mes up the cuts.

Wulfie
18-07-2012, 09:12 PM
That's a helluvalot of work and I wish I could do similar, maybe a fibreglass manniquin to do a bjd doll but great work, well done that man :cool:

dollman2
18-07-2012, 09:23 PM
That's a helluvalot of work and I wish I could do similar, maybe a fibreglass manniquin to do a bjd doll but great work, well done that man :cool:

thank you I'm thinking of trying a silicone doll one day, i was going to try a mannequin as a mold but will need to try a few smaller molds first.

a big bjd sound great i would love to see that.:)

dollman2
14-09-2012, 07:35 PM
i have now added a zentai suit to give her a more realistic flesh tone.
and i am thinking of trying to add a latex skin for her head as at the moment her face is very hard plastic.
will post some picture's of how she looks when i have applied the latex.

Wulfie
14-09-2012, 07:41 PM
i have now added a zentai suit to give her a more realistic flesh tone.
and i am thinking of trying to add a latex skin for her head as at the moment her face is very hard plastic.
will post some picture's of how she looks when i have applied the latex.

If you use natural latex it gradually detiorates, I've made some molds out of it and it went brown.

dollman2
14-09-2012, 07:52 PM
If you use natural latex it gradually detiorates, I've made some molds out of it and it went brown.

i didn't know that.
i order yesterday from Liquidflesh
www.liquidflesh.com

i thought i would see if it works well be fore i try to make a semi solid silicone head using the plastic head to make a mold then the foam head as a core for the silicone.

Wulfie
14-09-2012, 08:08 PM
A lot depends if it's natural latex (contains ammonia) or a special mixture. I've never heard of Liquidflesh but it's spec should tell you what it does and if it's paintable. I'm looking at Dragonflesh for a TB Mod, just the price :( and it's not compatable with my molds :mad:

dollman2
15-09-2012, 03:31 PM
defiantly ammonia, i opend the bottle and was over come with the smell:(.
i applied a bout 4 layers but on her head it still looks clear but i got a few bits that dried in about 20 sec's on the applicator.

i think it was a failure.

Jonson
22-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Has anyone tried to create a teddy babe type from the bibilab waifu ?