PDA

View Full Version : Managing albums

Halfstep
29-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Does anyone else find uploading pictures to albums incredibly tedious? I think I must be doing it wrong because seven mouse clicks for each file seems to me a less-than-optimal user interface. If I try and speed things up by doing more than one at a time the PHP script adds them in a random order. I've also tried copy-and-pasting filenames into the 'file to upload' boxes, but I can't get that to work.

Seems to me it would be much easier just to ftp them all in one go into some temporary filespace and then move them into the appropriate album using something similar to the album.php?do=editpictures page.

While I'm on the subject, is it possible to change the order in which pictures appear, either manually or by automatically sorting on a more sensible criterion than reverse order of upload?

Any hints and tips or other advice gratefully received.

Dongo
16-12-2013, 08:31 PM
While I'm on the subject, is it possible to change the order in which pictures appear, either manually or by automatically sorting on a more sensible criterion than reverse order of upload?

I do agree with this point especially. If I want the pictures to appear in a given order I load them one by one to ensure that they are correct which is very tedious.:confused:

Karrot
16-12-2013, 09:12 PM
As Timbo said, but today I have seen an instance where pics were added in the order 3,2,1 and actually entered the album as 1,3,2. :(

I try hard to keep the albums in order, but as all my uploaded pics are them added to story threads or are single shots for a specific purpose i dont worry too much...

Karrot

Dongo
16-12-2013, 09:30 PM
As Timbo said, but today I have seen an instance where pics were added in the order 3,2,1 and actually entered the album as 1,3,2. :(

I try hard to keep the albums in order, but as all my uploaded pics are them added to story threads or are single shots for a specific purpose i dont worry too much...

Karrot

Yes, this is the problem I do size them first but I can't get my head round in which order they will appear if I load three together and it seems isn't always consistent.

Cyber Ted
16-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Does anyone else find uploading pictures to albums incredibly tedious? I think I must be doing it wrong because seven mouse clicks for each file seems to me a less-than-optimal user interface.
No I don't find it tedious at all. :) It works well for me, the last big batch of files I uploaded were those in Heather's albums, they all went in fine. <Here> (http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=1193) Hover over the pics to see their file names and you'll see their order. I have had the odd glitch in the past where one file of a group was out of order, I either lived with it or deleted them and did it again.

FTP is not an option here as the images are stored as an element of the forum database.

The main reason for only three pics uploading at a time was because we had serious picture loading and displaying problems with certain php scripts running on one of our host's old servers. Back then we had a 600x600 pixel limit.
Since the server update the picture loading and resizing has improved allowing us to move to the 800x800 size that we currently use. This has worked fine and many members are now resizing their own pictures before loading, which is good, your photopaint/paintshop type program will do a better job of resizing than the forum software.

As things have been working well, I've just changed the number of pictures that can be uploaded at one time to five. If we start to have problems then I'll take it back down to three again.

Sam wrote a very good guide on uploading pictures, <Here> (http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2271)

The bottom line is that the forum software we are using is an older version and has some minor peculiarities in certain areas. Having said that, IMHO this forum's album routines are a lot easier for users than some of those on the other hobby sites which use external image hosting.

CT

philinotstine
22-10-2017, 06:14 PM
I recently lost Jessica and although I don't mind keeping her own login etc she has picture albums is there any way I can move her albums to my own album collection? Btw I forgot her log in details...again :o

philinotstine
24-10-2017, 04:20 PM
bu mp due to no rely

needadreamgirl
25-10-2017, 08:06 PM
I’ve totally given up trying to upload photos now , couldn’t it be made easer ?

Saxen
25-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Just follow the how to guide.i am a complete ludite and yet I managed it! I admit the album system of loading images is a bit odd, but it does avoid having external image hosting issues such as have been caused by photobucket

HHDel
26-10-2017, 01:45 AM
I’ve totally given up trying to upload photos now , couldn’t it be made easer ?

Why???

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9683&stc=1&d=1508982305