PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on shipping info for customs in UK

david1984
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Hello Folks,

I just need a little advice on my recent purchase of a real doll 2 in the states preowned.

a) Would it be okay for the seller to put down the value of the contents as say $500 so I won't be hit with a large customs duty charge?

b) The contents labels should read "full body mannequin" ? Is that all it needs to say? What about if there are some items of clothing, shoes etc in the crate...

c) Should the seller include that the item is second hand so as customs will not charge full duty on it?

d) Anything else that I or the seller should be aware of or anything above that should not be done or is incorrect?

Prompt advice on this would be much appreciated as she may be leaving the states tomorrow (wednesday 11th june)

Many Thanks Folks!

Karrot
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
I've heard that if customs feel you are purposefully trying to evade tax by stating a low value they can seize and destroy. Better to be honest in your dealings with the officials.

Pre owned Mannequin and accessories should be a sufficient description, however the Dock Filth may not care an will value accordingly

Karrot

Haremlover
10-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Pre owned Mannequin

"used"?

"Modern Art Sculpture"?
commodity code 9703000000
https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/headings/9703
Original sculptures and statuary, in any material

As a piece of modern art, modern materials would include silicone rubber and the value is whatever anyone considers art should be. . .

Probably a good idea to remove the head, pack securely between the legs and wrap so that it can't come loose. But as statuary, perhaps the head should be on. . .

DS have an inspection window which you'll see on their crates
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/thumbnails.php?album=5476
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/thumbnails.php?album=5352
http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1124&page=2
http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1124&page=3

So that presumably customs can put a hand inside and feel about to check what's there or insert an inspection camera.

The other great thing is that this lady comes with her original crate which is excellent for moving or for subsequent passing on to someone else - but that will be a long time in the future!

Best wishes

Harem

philinotstine
10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
It certainly couldnt do any harm putting second hand as its true. As for the value as Karrot says the gamble is up to you. Please ask the seller to put fragile & this way up stickers on the crate if theyre not already on it. Good luck.

david1984
10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the great info guys, I have relayed them to the seller. Anything else you can think of let me know

Halfstep
10-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I just need a little advice on my recent purchase of a real doll 2 in the states preowned.

Congratulations on finding yourself a new companion david.

I asked a similar question about Customs etc. a few weeks ago. Received some useful info, but nothing really definitive. If you haven't already read it, then this thread (http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1657&page=4) contains a pretty good summary of what happens.

b) The contents labels should read "full body mannequin" ? Is that all it needs to say?...

Harem has some good ideas about contents labels and HMRC Commodity Codes. You might also try contacting forum member RealDoll UK (http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=8563) and ask them how they describe the dolls they import into the UK.

c) Should the seller include that the item is second hand so as customs will not charge full duty on it?

I'm sure it won't hurt, but HMRC say that they treat used/second hand goods the same as new ones: import duty and VAT is levied on value+shipping+insurance.

Good luck. Please tell us how you get on.

Haremlover
10-06-2014, 08:25 PM
;-) An art sculpture is much more of arguable value - a sale not from the maker can be very very much less than a "new" price from an art gallery, until such time as the artist becomes very fashionable.

So in this case I'd go for art sculpture rather than be distracted by a mannequin description, which is something of more of a commercial use and value.

Were there not to be a full body, doll parts have another low impact category.

You only have to look at the photos of that lady to see that she's a modern art sculpture . . .

Best wishes

Harem

Karrot
10-06-2014, 09:33 PM
;-) An art sculpture is much more of arguable value - a sale not from the maker can be very very much less than a "new" price from an art gallery, until such time as the artist becomes very fashionable.

So in this case I'd go for art sculpture rather than be distracted by a mannequin description, which is something of more of a commercial use and value.

Were there not to be a full body, doll parts have another low impact category.

You only have to look at the photos of that lady to see that she's a modern art sculpture . . .

Best wishes

Harem

Whilst I see your point I'd be very sceptical about HMRC inspectors looking at what is obviously a sex doll (in its basest term) as an artistic sculpture. The category is very likely to meant a 3D piece of Art. i.e. you look at it and its has no function other than to be looked at.

Again HMRC will likely take a dim view of any item imported with misleading paperwork.

Karrot

Wulfie
10-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I would never underestimate the Revenue man and I wouldn't be surprised if there was one as a Member. If you try and take the michael and get caught out you'll most likely pay for it harshly and once they start looking at you, you're stuffed. They'll know it's a sexdoll if they open the case and examine it and if you've been too economical with the truth they won't turn a blind eye.:no:
I imported a bike from the USA a while back and the boxer left cardboard panels in the side of the crate for them to look in and the panels were holed on delivery. They do check. :(

Cyber Ted
10-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Be devaluing or under-declaring your shipped purchase, in an attempt to avoid taxes, you run exactly the same risk as you would by deliberately trying to smuggle something through the 'wrong' channel.

Another matter to consider is that you run the risk of being unable to claim in the event of any damage caused during transit/examination/delivery.
If your $3000 doll is declared and insured at $500, you are going to be badly out of pocket should the worst occur.

Something else to think about; asking a seller to knowingly, falsely, under-declare an item, particularly one coming from the States, could fall foul of conspiracy laws for both parties, if discovered.

Your choice.

CT

david1984
10-06-2014, 10:28 PM
This has turned into quite a worrying thread! But I very much appreciate the advice!

I have already messaged the seller to name the contents as "second hand mannequin" which I think is a pretty accurate description of what it is. Regarding the value, I think 1750 US Dollars should be an adequate figure for a second hand mannequin. (I hope)

If they did decide to check the contents then they would find exactly what it says on the box.

My excitement is now mixed with a little worry...!

david1984
10-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Now that I am paranoid of customs possibly wanting proof of purchase I have decided that it best be declared at the exact price I paid for it. I wouldn't mind saving a few quid on duty but when I think about the potential consequences I dont think its worth it.

Here's what I requested the seller to do;

I have listened to some more advice regarding undervaluing the contents and the consequences of such. I don't want to undervalue it anymore. Please could you put on the paperwork exactly what I paid for it so that if I am asked to provide evidence of payment then I can.

I want Mattie's journey to be as hassle free as possible.

I also heard that it is a good idea to have a little cardboard inspection hatch on the side of the crate where they can look in to see part of the mannequin if they want to confirm the contents. Would this be possible for you to do as I would hate for them to have to open it up completely and who knows what questions they might want to ask.

Thanks

david1984
10-06-2014, 11:00 PM
So with the correct description of contents and the correct value declared which can be proven then I should hope there will be no problems??? Am I right?

Cyber Ted
10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Now that I am paranoid of customs possibly wanting proof of purchase I have decided that it best be declared at the exact price I paid for it. I wouldn't mind saving a few quid on duty but when I think about the potential consequences I dont think its worth it.

Here's what I requested the seller to do;

I have listened to some more advice regarding undervaluing the contents and the consequences of such. I don't want to undervalue it anymore. Please could you put on the paperwork exactly what I paid for it so that if I am asked to provide evidence of payment then I can.

I want Mattie's journey to be as hassle free as possible.

I also heard that it is a good idea to have a little cardboard inspection hatch on the side of the crate where they can look in to see part of the mannequin if they want to confirm the contents. Would this be possible for you to do as I would hate for them to have to open it up completely and who knows what questions they might want to ask.

Thanks

Given what you've said above you should be fine David.

I would not advocate an inspection hatch in the realdoll crates though. They are very substantial crates, much bigger than the Eastern manufacturers use. The dolls are fastened inside by their neckbolt and various padded areas.

This is a pic from one of Gibbmodoll's albums of a RealDoll in her crate.
http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=175

and another (most of the foam padding has been removed from these boxes).

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=13&pictureid=56

These are sturdy wooden boxes with considerable foam padding around the doll. Even with a lighter RealDoll they will be a two man lift.

If your seller packs the doll as he received her and clearly marks the box 'fragile' and 'this end up' you should be fine. Even if customs do open the box she should be well secured in her foam padding. You really don't want someone feeling around blindly in a box containing a silicone doll, finger nails can easily cause rips and tears.

I have had the pleasure of seeing these dolls, and the third, in their crates close up, they were spectacular. :D

I'm sure everything will be fine, there are a lot of folks here wishing you well on this and looking forward to seeing your doll's home coming photographs.

CT

david1984
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
I've just emailed the seller to forget about the inspection hatch idea! I feel alot better now that everything is going to be done legitimately. Has anyone any idea what the approximate customs charges would end up at on a doll that costed me $3525 incl shipping?

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their advice

david1984
10-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Thank you for the pictures of the crate cyberted! It gives me a good idea what to expect!

Cyber Ted
11-06-2014, 12:02 AM
At worst you may be looking at about another £550.

It could be considerably less than this but should not be more.

CT

david1984
11-06-2014, 12:08 AM
well that's actually a bit of a relief! How does the customs charges normally occur? Do they bring the crate to my door and then issue me with a bill?? Or do they call at my door first and once I have paid they will deliver?

philinotstine
11-06-2014, 06:27 AM
i got a letter from customs saying shed arrived. went and paid customs asked at depot if they could deliver that day as id taken day off work. they complied, drivers helped with crate so i gave them a tip. very happy.

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=509&pictureid=29415

Pris in crate with packing removed.

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=509&pictureid=29414

david1984
11-06-2014, 06:55 AM
That sounds pretty straight forward. You have one very nice looking shed, very nice indeed! Can't wait to get my shed now!

Karrot
11-06-2014, 07:20 AM
As with all things, Honesty will see your way clear :tu

Karrot

philinotstine
11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Haha shed = she'd as in she had. In a hurry this morning hence typo.
Mind you crate / shed ?
Glad to be of help.
To quote Tom Petty & the heartbreakers : The waiting is the hardest part.
Good luck and nice purchase. :tu

Karrot
11-06-2014, 08:04 PM
To quote Tom Petty & the heartbreakers : The waiting is the hardest part.

Not if we are talking about the biology of recipient about 5 minutes after delivery :whistle:

Karrot

philinotstine
11-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Very true Mr. K and no prizes for guessing state of this members member on first opening of crate in previous picture. As I'm sure yourself...........
oh well.......

david1984
11-06-2014, 08:22 PM
:24 very good!

Karrot
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
yup, didnt take long :D

Just got the FedEx letter detailing the import tax for her. Under 40 quid is pretty good. She was listed as a plastic Mannequin by the factory

David, if you use FedEx they put the package through customs, pay any fees and ship to you, then invoice.

I believe the others generally expect you to pay before shipping on from customs.

Karrot

david1984
18-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Mattie has made it to the UK finally! I have been contacted by the agency handling the customs etc so I should have her by friday or the start of the week! YIPPEY! Still need to find out what I have to pay for customs duty vat etc but to be honest, I don't really care, I just want my little babe home safe and sound!

Haremlover
18-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Mattie has made it to the UK finally! I have been contacted by the agency handling the customs etc so I should have her by friday or the start of the week! YIPPEY! Still need to find out what I have to pay for customs duty vat etc but to be honest, I don't really care, I just want my little babe home safe and sound!

;-)

Fingers crossed for you. Many of us know what you're going through . . .

Best wishes

Harem

Haremlover
22-06-2014, 01:50 AM
We're looking forward to news - hope the honeymoon has started . . .

Best wishes

Harem

david1984
23-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Hey folks!

Sorry I couldn't update you any sooner as I was away all weekend.
Mattie arrived last Thursday and I am absolutely astounded at her beauty! (I was also a bit cross that I unavoidably had to go away the whole weekend just after she arrived!)

When I finally got all the screws out of the crate and opened the door, removed all the packing my jaw literally dropped! I actually couldn't believe my eyes! She is better than any pictures will ever show!

Thanks again guys and I feel really privileged to finally own such a beautiful creation!

I will try and take some nice pictures this week for everyone!

Wulfie
24-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Congrats David, so pleased to hear and don't forget the pics, when you get time that is. :drink:drink:drink

Haremlover
24-06-2014, 08:39 AM
When I finally got all the screws out of the crate and opened the door, removed all the packing my jaw literally dropped! I actually couldn't believe my eyes! She is better than any pictures will ever show!

Aaah! Eventually the news we've all been waiting for. Fantastic. Congratulations!

Best wishes

Harem

Ursa_Major
25-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm pleased to hear that she's arrived safely. Look forward to seeing the pics.

philinotstine
25-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Congrats, mate. That first view when you open the crate and uncover her is some mighty buzz, eh?
Now, youve had a little honeymoon time so....:rulez:waiting::waiting::rulez
..... pics, please. ;):D

Haremlover
26-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Now, youve had a little honeymoon time so....:rulez:waiting::waiting::rulez
..... pics, please. ;):D

You'll be lucky - he'll need two weeks. Perhaps longer - he's probably died of shock on account of how beautiful she is, or starvation by reason of jaw dropping off . . .

:D:24:);)

Best wishes

Harem

Haremlover
04-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Somewhere else I raised a thread asking how many dolls had killed their owners?

Reputedly a British prime minister had died in the act with a maid on the billiard table at 10 Downing Street. . . . :21

Might this have been an occurrence to David here?

The US photos were so stunning . . . . so it would be really great for the rest of us to share being stunned here . . .

Best wishes

Harem

david1984
24-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Hello folks! Check out my first album of Mattie!

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=1514

Please accept my sincere apology for not posting pictures of my beautiful girl any sooner! We were on quiet a long honey moon lol Now that we're back and everything has settled down, energy levels back and my eye sight has returned lol I managed to take a few pictures of her.

Please bare with me as the quality of the pictures may not be the best, I hope to improve on that in the future.

She is just wonderful!http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=1514&pictureid=31114

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=1514&pictureid=31063

Wulfie
24-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm so glad that you've returned with an album.:tu

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=1514&pictureid=31097

You've got a cracking doll there and to do so many pics for a first album says it all, excellent work and it's soooo good to see Mattie this side of the pond.:b
The quality of the pics will improve as you continue to do good by your little lady, it just takes time, patience and a little research into your camera settings.;) I'm still learning to get it right and have a long way to go. :o

david1984
24-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks Wulfie!

I love that picture of her with the boots on! She likes wearing them quite alot! :D

Karrot
24-07-2014, 10:57 PM
A fabulous re-emergence from dolly Honeymoon :D Welcome back, good to know she didnt kill you :tu

As Wulfie says, it's a learning curve, and a fun one if you're willing.

Not a critique at all, but purely a question about Mattie. Can she close her legs? Her thighs seem to the at the same angle in all shots, so I was wondering. :confused:

Karrot

david1984
24-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Now that you mention it, her pictures do seem to have her legs open in all of them lol
Subconsciously I must have been placing her legs to what I felt was most pleasing to the eye lol (my visual eyes) :24
But to answer your question, yes her legs do come pretty close together. not fully but pretty close. For her next photoshoot I will try and take a few more of her in other positions.

This is fun!!

Karrot
24-07-2014, 11:57 PM
A hint for posing.

Dolls can get in to many unnatural or awkward positions, when posing her think about how you would be in that pose, and even try it yourself.

You'll soon become and avid watcher of the human form and how it moves and rests.

Karrot
(looking forward to future works)