View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 03:35 PM
Bronze Member

The Road Trip
Part 10

The night was dry and uneventful but we didn’t have to go far before things got wet. The morning started with yet another fuel stop, the fifth of the trip. The roads were wet, but it was still warm and snow and ice were not a concern. If anything, it made the greenery even greener and more lush.

I pulled up beside a sheer cliff face at the side of the road so Arachne could get a closer look. “Sure makes you feel small and insignificant, doesn’t it? This mountain of solid rock goes up hundreds of feet above us.”

“Small? Sure?” she asked, uncertain of what point I was trying to make. “But insignificant? No! I’m the most significant being in this world! There are few who can compare! What are you trying to say, exactly?”

“Nothing insulting, I assure you. And you’re right, few do compare. I just mean that these mountains are massive, and from my perspective, timeless. They were here long before me, and they’ll be here long after I’m gone, is all.”

“I concede your point, but from your perspective, I am also timeless. I am over a century old, and once you have lived your human life span, should you reach its natural end, I will still be young by my standards.”

While I contemplated my short mortality, we continued on. One of my favorite roads was on the menu today but even with cloud cover and wet roads it wasn’t enough to dampen my spirits. The car’s 4motion easily handled any situation as I chucked it into corner after corner with Arachne grinning and enjoying the whole ride.

This, the final day of the trip was another long one and the number of stops I made became fewer and fewer. As enjoyable as the trip was I could tell we were both getting tired. Arachne wanted to sleep in her bed and I wanted to enjoy a night back on my comfy couch. The seats of the car were great for driving, but less so for sleeping.

Follow us on Twitter!

Say hi in her main thread Here.