View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

This is a big topic for a Doll forum.
Bamboo is an excellent scaffolding material, but in the quantities used on high-rises, still needs calculations of weight and strut strength, so it does not all collapse. Re-use is also limited. Note how none of these chaps in video is wearing a safety harness.
Yes, I love old stuff. That steam-powered sewage works in London is good (forgotten name - brain is dying). A cathedral to the new God. And not all iron works was built to same sizes as their wooden predecessors, a lot of calculation and experimentation was done but not publicised, like Brunel's methodical series of experiments on the propeller of the "Great Britain" before he fixed on the final design. Failure was mostly down to poor execution, eg. Tay Bridge.
Repairability is my bug-bear. Assemby lines where things are stuffed one on top of another, so you have to dismantle it all to get to the bit underneath that broke, its so cheap just throw it all away, that bit is not made anymore, we don't make spares, we made it flimsy deliberately to break so you have to buy a new one, if stuff lasted for ever we would be out of a job, etc. AAARRRGGGHHH
and you see it with dolls, where nuts on joint-bolts are welded-on so can't be tightened, what was the logic behind that? Cheaper than castellated nuts and split pins - never a Roll-pin, you can't get the buggers out.
There, I kept to the rules.