View Single Post
Old 13-07-2020, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

I love old engineering like that. I used to do the monitoring work on the Needles cable car on the Isle of Wight. They worry that the hill is moving, but it seemed fine when we measured up. Was fun using it when the wind kicked up!

Currently I have some dealings with an old underground water reservoir that we are looking to convert into a planetarium complex. Very sturdily built with wonderful brick arches. The Victorians took a lot of pride in their engineering. I haven't got any photos, but this place has an underground reservoir is similar to ours, but a lot bigger. Their engine house is quite spectacular. This photo from our last shoot came from there:

I do miss my old career in Civils, I'm more of a desk jockey now. I used to see all sorts of strange stuff that the public never see. I regret not getting chance to take a look inside the Humber Bridge some years back - you can actually walk the length of the bridge onside, there's even research offices in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK ANGEL View Post
Never ceases to amaze me, I know it's built to more than do the job, but if I was building it and riding it daily, it would be twice the size at least.
I have this same issue with building rooms, flats, sheds, ramps or framework.
My stuff is overkill I know, but I'm just not comfortable otherwise.

Pete.
Yes, I have a habit of overengineering everything that I build. I built a wooden clothes horse that strong enough that I can actually lie on top of it! Consider it like how the Russians and Americans build spacecraft. The Americans went for lightweight and as cheap as possible. The Russians went for simple, rugged and functional. Their Soyuz craft has now been in use since the 60s, albeit in a very modernised state.