View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kats012 View Post
Thank you Willow for helping folk remember there is so much more to Christmas than greed. Santa/St Nicholas - good chap and keeps us jolly.
I have been told by Ekaterina that they used traditionally to celebrate Christmas on January 7th according to the old calendar and the presents are brought for the children by "Father Frost" and the Snow Maiden.
For myself - I hear the Red Cloak and white beard go as far back as the "Allfather - Odin! Christmas? Yule? Whatever! Have a good and happy one.
I'm pleased that you like the posting. I think that Ekaterina is possibly a day out. Old Christmas Day is 6th January. It all stems from when we changed from the Julian to the Gregorian Calendar in 1752 which caused much confusion. Wednesday 2nd September was followed by Thursday 14th September and new year deemed to start on 1st January rather than 25th March. People claimed and protested that they had been cheated out of eleven days of their lives!
PS Its also why the tax year end is 6th April - it was originally 24th March and as ever the tax man is unyielding!