UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Inventors Forum.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

Default changing a doll's facial expression?

I came to the conclusion a while ago that I really prefer dolls that have a little smile on their face. Trouble is so many of them are pouting or otherwise looking (to my eyes) moody and miserable.

Today I was playing with Katy's pretty little face (shown below, from the factory image) and wondered if it would be possible to modify her expression. The two adjustments that I would potentially make would be to close her mouth a little (I pushed her chin up with my finger and liked the look) and increase her smile (I pulled the corners of her mouth up a touch).

The closing of the mouth could be done with glue, but that would interfere with her tongue. Maybe cutting a thin wedge out from either side of her mouth and then gluing back together, but that might leave a scar like the Joker and could open up if I get too amorous with kissing.

Lifting the corners of the mouth, I've got nothing.

So how would the smarter folks out there tackle this cosmetic surgery? I'm not necessarily going to try anything, but still curious.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxen View Post
I came to the conclusion a while ago that I really prefer dolls that have a little smile on their face. Trouble is so many of them are pouting or otherwise looking (to my eyes) moody and miserable.

Today I was playing with Katy's pretty little face (shown below, from the factory image) and wondered if it would be possible to modify her expression. The two adjustments that I would potentially make would be to close her mouth a little (I pushed her chin up with my finger and liked the look) and increase her smile (I pulled the corners of her mouth up a touch).

The closing of the mouth could be done with glue, but that would interfere with her tongue. Maybe cutting a thin wedge out from either side of her mouth and then gluing back together, but that might leave a scar like the Joker and could open up if I get too amorous with kissing.

Lifting the corners of the mouth, I've got nothing.

So how would the smarter folks out there tackle this cosmetic surgery? I'm not necessarily going to try anything, but still curious.

Hi Saxen,

With Yvette, and to a lesser extent Tiff I put a bottle top in their mouths to change their expressions.I've also used a marble to create a more pronounced pout for some pics. And a smallish conquer to create a look of shock / surprise.

There's no way that I personally would do any cosmetic surgery to them though as they are things of beauty which I may find new ways to try and capure that in pictures but I would not change them at all.

I think that its really a case of if you are unhappy with the expression of the doll then just get another head. There's certainly no shortage of them available including quite a few smiling variants.

kindest regards,

Shamus.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I think that its really a case of if you are unhappy with the expression of the doll then just get another head. There's certainly no shortage of them available including quite a few smiling variants..................
Yep, good advice, that would be the way I would go.

The only dolls that I can think of that can readily change their expression are the C-series BoyToys with their moveable eyelids, oral inserts and tongues, a different slant of the head with half closed eyes can be very expressive and a complete contrast from a wide eyed surprised look. Tongue and opening teeth can also be used to add to an expression.

Some examples of Heather's changing moods.

CT

Old 12-09-2018, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Boytoys are the ultimate IMHO for expression change without Pshop of false eyelids but the only doll (cue folks proving me wrong) with a great smile apart from Airforce Amy and her predecessor is the oriental RD that Camp has. I cannot remember her name, something like Yuki or Yushi but a face with a great smile.

We are all just a car crash, a diagnosis, an unexpected phone call, a newfound love,
or a broken heart away from becoming a completely different person.

Old 13-09-2018, 02:34 AM
Golden Diamond Member

Thats Right...Good knowledge Saxen. I have 5 Girls and only one is a little bit
smiling. Thats Kagami... She has the corners of her mouth upwards. The different is Nina more neutral...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6688.jpg (38.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6689.jpg (47.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 13-09-2018, 02:35 AM
Golden Diamond Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6690.jpg (40.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6692.jpg (41.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 13-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Still can't remember her name but

We are all just a car crash, a diagnosis, an unexpected phone call, a newfound love,
or a broken heart away from becoming a completely different person.

Old 13-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I think that its really a case of if you are unhappy with the expression of the doll then just get another head. There's certainly no shortage of them available including quite a few smiling variants.

kindest regards,

Shamus.
true, but the faces that I find most attractive always seem to be the ones that aren't smiling! Or the smiling faces are the wrong material for the body that I would put them on.

Another major issue I have is finding pictures from angles that show the true facial expressions . So many of the vendors/manufacturers just don't do good all round shots of their dolls or heads I have the same trouble when looking for dolls in the first place (I'm thinking on my next doll at the moment, but some of the pictures look lovely and others they look out of proportion in the body). I know searching for user posted images is the best option there, but they aren't always there to find
Old 13-09-2018, 07:07 PM
Golden Diamond Member

A smidge off topic, but this is exactly where the Robotics market could and should be shining!

It's all well and good to be developing a robotic doll that can have a conversation with you, interface with your toaster and order your beers from Amazon, but I think what a lot of people would really appreciated is simply a face that could be posed via and app. Simply adding this ability to a doll would bring her to life, and the tech is out there. Release it as the first step towards the bigger goals.

Just my 2p

K

The Patchlings
....and so I said to her, "Yes, they're very impressive, but you'll look bloody daft doing that on a horse!"
Old 14-10-2018, 01:38 PM

I don't know if it is possible, but on Agnes, the lower half of her face isn't attached to the core of her head.

It might be possible on some doll to put something between the TPE and core to raise the cheeks slightly. After all when we smile the muscles in that area do that to help create a smile.