UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Dolls in General Forum.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Bronze Member

Default Why do dolls need to be powdered

I read somewhere that powdering is necessary to calm the oil that oozes from TPE that is used in the manufacturing process.

Does that mean this oil is a release agent that eventually disappears or is it an ongoing process due to the nature of TPE that continually releases oil.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Due to the nature of TPE it continually releases oil until it destroys itself after years depending on the TPE. It's similar to tires.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pron View Post
Due to the nature of TPE it continually releases oil until it destroys itself after years depending on the TPE. It's similar to tires.
One owner uses Vaseline to condition his doll in the nether regions. Is this recommended.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

I'm far away from being an expert yet so i know I'm gonna make mistakes as Amy is my first doll, but after many hours of reading posts on here this is how I'm caring for her.

Powder when the skin feels clammy - weekly or fortnightly. (baby powder or talc but let's not get into that discussion lol)
I believe the powder absorbs the oil.

Baby oil for cleaning stains and for any dry patches that develop. Her hands and nose seem to feel rough sometimes I think the bedsheets rub against her.
I think the oil is absorbed back into the skin, leave for at least 8 hours before powdering.

And Vaseline for any areas than could get stretched like under her arm pits and between her legs. And also any areas where moisture could develop like her mouth and er well use your imagination 😉 I'm sure I've read somewhere not to use too much as the tpe can only absorb so much.

Like I say I'm still learning and as tpe is fairly new I don't think anyone really knows the best way to care for it yet. Hopefully I'll get lucky and Amys body will last for years but if not then that body will be retired from the bed to the spare room and I'll try a new care plan with a new body and I'll keep trying until my house looks like tommos 😁
Old 10-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pron View Post
So you’re telling me that after 20 something years of motoring, I should have been powdering my tyres for all that time?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDjdjjjjdj View Post
So you’re telling me that after 20 something years of motoring, I should have been powdering my tyres for all that time?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
No, but maybe you shouldn't smoke or eat your tires.

Last edited by Pron; 10-09-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I think Pron wants to tell us that we need to oil our tires every few month.

Disclaimer: My sentence above is pure nonsense, don't do that!

But back on topic. As far as I know TPE and silicone do not need powder. But it's better to powder both materials as they are otherwise too sticky. Everything would stick to the surface. Especially dust and other dirt.
So, as far as I understand it, the material doesn't need powder, but we want it.
I have never heard that the powder is needed because of leaking oil. In that case I would ask why silicone dolls get powdered too.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

I powder my silicone girls for the exact reason Tsall has mentioned.

I only powder the tpe girls when boxing and storing them during huid or winter climate times here, to inhibit any mold development.

Generally, I use a very light smear of mineral oil from time to time if the tpe feels dry and flaky. I describe a decent touch test in detail over on TDF, and I will post the holistic maint' approach link when I find it again, I know I have shared the actual physics and chemistry science of tpe maint with a few here, but generally most were not interested in the why, more so they just wanted the how.

Now, the real reason for powdering dolls is because they like it!

Especially powdering the nose.

Anung
Old 11-09-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anung Un Rama View Post
I powder my silicone girls for the exact reason Tsall has mentioned.

I only powder the tpe girls when boxing and storing them during huid or winter climate times here, to inhibit any mold development.

Generally, I use a very light smear of mineral oil from time to time if the tpe feels dry and flaky. I describe a decent touch test in detail over on TDF, and I will post the holistic maint' approach link when I find it again, I know I have shared the actual physics and chemistry science of tpe maint with a few here, but generally most were not interested in the why, more so they just wanted the how.

Now, the real reason for powdering dolls is because they like it!

Especially powdering the nose.

Anung

Anung,

If at some point you can send me a pm pointing me to your Why on TDF or in whatever format, I am very interested, Thanks.

I always get very confused with these questions, it is just so simple, you have only got to look at them touch them, and they tell you if they need anything

I don't use mineral oil unless they are dry.. From what I have found with my dolls, the dolls that are thinner/ less tpe in darker tpe tones, need a little occasionally, the ones that are thicker/heavier/more tpe/lighter tpe tones don't.

Powder- a very little amount only if required.

Tommo

Last edited by Tommo10; 11-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.