UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Dolls in General Forum.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Diamond Member

Default Concerns bringing a doll into the UK

I received an email this morning from a friend with whom one of my ladies is lodging:
Quote:
The main reason for me to bring Kayla to the UK is the upcoming Brexit. Once The Brexit is a fact, then expensive products like Kayla will need documents to cross the UK border. Because the original documentation that you have, will state that Kayla has been imported to the UK, it implies that when the exchange of products is no longer free between our borders, documentation of temporary export will have to be presented to the customs to get her back to the UK. This documentation however can only be obtained if there is proof of temporary export of her to the main land, something I very much doubt there is (!*).
This raises potentially very real concerns about our future life in the UK.

Currently I wouldn't dream of buying a doll from America. Import duties are always charged and in full.

Currently my experience of dolls coming from certain manufacturers choose routes where assessment is made somewhere in Europe and whatever is due is paid by the manufacturers there, and imported without hassles into the UK under European freedom of goods.

As soon as this arrangement is terminated by forthcoming threatened borders our island life will be isolated by rather painful expenses of anything coming from China. Dolls apart, that probably includes the computer you're reading this on, your mobile phone, and all sorts of things upon which we rely even more than dolls.

Best wishes

Harem

Chloé's book is now available from The Doll House and Cloud Climax
- - - - - - - -
Here's Chloé in CoverDoll in the doll-friendly South of France
- - - - - - - -
Inflatables are a good introduction to dolls - discounts to UK members - please PM me if interested.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haremlover View Post
As soon as this arrangement is terminated by forthcoming threatened borders our island life will be isolated by rather painful expenses of anything coming from China. Dolls apart, that probably includes the computer you're reading this on, your mobile phone, and all sorts of things upon which we rely even more than dolls.
One of the many reasons I brought forward the purchase of my Chinese motorbike. They have already increased in price by 37.55% in two years! Thought it best to get it before GBP gets even worse!
Old 11-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Harem,

the bulk of my girls flew directly into East Mids from China.

Yvette came via Poland

Not sure where Charlotte came from as she was from Phils stock of new girls for next day delivery. So will have flown into Gatwick but not certain if thats direct from China or not.

Some business will move to the UK if it is too expensive to import. For example, Clarkes shoes that have been manufacturered in China for a long time are now (in part) manufactured in the UK with the ability to crank up UK production if it becomes too expensive to import.

Some things are cheaper to import under WTO than via European Union imposed tariffs but of course under EU regulations we could not pick and choose which we imported under which tariff regime so things like tariffs based on protecting certain European industries would no longer apply on leaving.

Also, tariffs with America are likely to become much cheaper once out of Europe and we will also be free to negotiate trade agreements directly with China.

I am not kidding myself that it will be a completely smooth transition but I'm not feeling the need to convert my bank accounts to hold currency in US dollars just yet.

All the best,

Shamus
Old 11-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

The question quoted by the OP is also a concern for all Europeans visiting the European Doll Meet held in the UK.
The upcoming meet we will still be save, but I'm not sure how much hassle it will be to have an expensive doll to join me on a trip to the UK next year

. Yoshimi . . . Maiko . . . Rebecca . . . Lissa . . . . Sacha . . . . Lily . . . . . Lina . . . . Lena . . . . Tracy . .
Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nescio50 View Post
The question quoted by the OP is also a concern for all Europeans visiting the European Doll Meet held in the UK.
The upcoming meet we will still be save, but I'm not sure how much hassle it will be to have an expensive doll to join me on a trip to the UK next year
Hello Nescio,

Your doll will simply need her own passport for travel in and out of the UK without duty.

Look up ATA Carnet which is simply a passport for goods rather than people.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

An ATA Carnet costs EUR 199 plus extra depending on the value of the goods, and it is valid for only one year.
That's much more expensive than my passport, which is valid for 10 years.

. Yoshimi . . . Maiko . . . Rebecca . . . Lissa . . . . Sacha . . . . Lily . . . . . Lina . . . . Lena . . . . Tracy . .
Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Diamond Member

It's not tariffs that are of concern - it's mainly VAT.

So anyone fooling themselves that WTO conditions will be better than EU conditions will be disappointed.

There are variations with how things are done in the EU and we benefit by those with experience knowing the best system to use. Post Brexs*t there won't be variations at all and those least expecting it will be paying the price. Imports from USA will not be cheaper. VAT on imported goods from USA will remain the same.

Many people are sleepwalking into a very expensive life which will lead all of us to be poorer. Many are raising alarm bells and it's appropriate for them to be ringing.

Best wishes

Harem

Chloé's book is now available from The Doll House and Cloud Climax
- - - - - - - -
Here's Chloé in CoverDoll in the doll-friendly South of France
- - - - - - - -
Inflatables are a good introduction to dolls - discounts to UK members - please PM me if interested.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Bronze Member

Reading such a headline, less than 24 hours before departure with a doll to the UK, is not funny.
Yes I know, (hopefully) no problem during this years doll meet.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

I am happy to report that the sky is not falling, much as those very rude people gathered around the gates of downing street would have everyone believe.

VAT is already payable at point of entry to the EU. The UK becomes that point of entry and we will become free to set the VAT rate as we see fit.

At the moment of course the EU dictates that our VAT cannot be lower than 15% for most goods, 5% for goods on a pre approved list, and 0% only for goods that were at that rate in the UK before 1991.

Once Brussels is not dictating our VAT rates I am expecting to see a reduction in order to bolster business in the post Brexit calming period.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

I have concerns because I have purchased and imported a doll from France, but sadly she has to travel back due to arriving damaged and the replacement will not be available until November. When that time comes I don't think we can say what will happen or what will need to be paid, especially as this will be an FOC replacement not a new purchase.

I remain hopeful that it will not be too hard, but I have doubts that there will be clarity even after 31st Oct.