UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Inventors Forum.

Old 18-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Gold Excellence Member

if you two are near each other you should get together and have a talk about it in person. can't beat face to face when it comes to comparing notes about something.

carlys_guy
Old 18-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Carlys guy
Matt
Old 21-10-2018, 02:45 AM
Active New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlys_guy View Post
if you two are near each other you should get together and have a talk about it in person. can't beat face to face when it comes to comparing notes about something.

carlys_guy
That would be a great idea carlys_guy but Matt lives "oop North" (so it seems) as we say and i'm a Southerner!

Matt...i would say something like Hydrocal as a casting plaster, but there's others and it's a subject that needs research but good results can be had with plaster of paris as long as you are careful!

Sculpting and casting is a fantastic hobby but can also be a fantastically expensive hobby as well...a lot of the special effects pros will only use oil based clays that capture detail well and can be re-used if melted...Silicones are the most skin-like material to make your finished material in as you probably know, but can be extremely expensive so wasting materials not an option so you have to be "right" first time if possible.

If you want to give things a "test" to see how they will work out, i suggest looking at photos of how the human head is shaped and also work out sizes as women's heads are smaller then men's.

Once you've got the hang of this, and have made a "Mk1" head, you can use plaster of paris to make a mould...it can capture a lot of detail but has to be handled right and made sure there is no air bubbles in the mix, and that it is of the correct consistency. Some air bubbles can be filled in once the mould has dried with more plaster of paris, rather like filling in a crack on a wall with Polyfilla...don't forget you will need to make your mould in two interlocking parts ideally as well!

Once a mould is made, it may be a good idea to have a test run with liquid latex which can be coloured flesh tone with foundation or acrylic paint in the mix.

You will need to "slushcast" this...the inside of the mould will need to be covered with a release agent such as vaseline so the latex does not stick to the mould...the idea is that you pour a quantity of latex in and "slush" it about, making sure each area of the mould is covered, and then the excess poured out, then repeat this in layers until each layer is dry until you have a relatively thick layer of set latex rubber which can then be filled with a foam material (not builder's expanding foam!)

If this is done properly, the mould can be seperated, and then you have one "test" version of your head which can then be painted and so on.

I would have a go at working with the cheapest materials first and getting it right before committing fully to silicone as you could end up with 's worth of bin fodder.

I'm not an expert Matt, but i have dabbled with mask making before and know a rough idea of some of the tricks involved...if you are serious i would start looking at a few YouTube vids about sculpting and prosthetics and maybe join a SFX (special effects) forum who will be full of people who know about the right materials and tools

One last tip: NEVER tip any excess plaster of paris or latex down the sink! let it dry and peel or chip it out of bowls!

Biscuits
Old 21-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks BNB all good advise,yes I am on the bottom corner of Morecambe bay.I have worked with latex and also for a while I worked in a shop producing ornate moulded coving though that was 40yrs ago,the same shop did some fibreglass products too.
My main aim is first to see if I can sculpt something OK which I feel I can and then progress from there.
Yes some good stuff on youtube and I guest read a few Fx sites already.
Matt

Last edited by Matt gloss; 21-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 21-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Active New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt gloss View Post
Thanks BNB all good advise,yes I am on the bottom corner of Morecambe bay.I have worked with latex and also for a while I worked in a shop producing ornate moulded coving though that was 40yrs ago,the same shop did some fibreglass products too.
My main aim is first to see if I can sculpt something OK which I feel I can and then progress from there.
Yes some good stuff on youtube and I guest read a few Fx sites already.
Matt
Have fun! if i wasn't living in a tiny flat it's something i would love to get into again as it's such a great hobby!
Old 21-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Bronze Member

I would like to make a living from dolls but dolls your ordinary person can afford probably similar to the fabric dolls,I have found something to live for in these dolls a reason to get out of bed,amazing stuff.
Thanks for the input BNB I will be starting a thread soon concerning my endeavours to build a doll.
Matt