UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > RealDoll Forum. (G)

Old 29-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
People used to have a "Can do" attitude, they just got on and did things without the rules and analysing we get now.
Here's a good example of the 'Can do' attitude

Old 29-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Love mooching around old buildings like that and have a great appreciation for old technology which was built to last and to be repaired. Alas, never found Pris or her like in any of them

We are all just a car crash, a diagnosis, an unexpected phone call, a newfound love,
or a broken heart away from becoming a completely different person.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

This is a big topic for a Doll forum.
Bamboo is an excellent scaffolding material, but in the quantities used on high-rises, still needs calculations of weight and strut strength, so it does not all collapse. Re-use is also limited. Note how none of these chaps in video is wearing a safety harness.
Yes, I love old stuff. That steam-powered sewage works in London is good (forgotten name - brain is dying). A cathedral to the new God. And not all iron works was built to same sizes as their wooden predecessors, a lot of calculation and experimentation was done but not publicised, like Brunel's methodical series of experiments on the propeller of the "Great Britain" before he fixed on the final design. Failure was mostly down to poor execution, eg. Tay Bridge.
Repairability is my bug-bear. Assemby lines where things are stuffed one on top of another, so you have to dismantle it all to get to the bit underneath that broke, its so cheap just throw it all away, that bit is not made anymore, we don't make spares, we made it flimsy deliberately to break so you have to buy a new one, if stuff lasted for ever we would be out of a job, etc. AAARRRGGGHHH
and you see it with dolls, where nuts on joint-bolts are welded-on so can't be tightened, what was the logic behind that? Cheaper than castellated nuts and split pins - never a Roll-pin, you can't get the buggers out.
There, I kept to the rules.
Old 13-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

That's shit, Jock. Split pins rust and seize-up in hole, so you can't get them out. How about tab-washers?
Old 13-07-2020, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

I love old engineering like that. I used to do the monitoring work on the Needles cable car on the Isle of Wight. They worry that the hill is moving, but it seemed fine when we measured up. Was fun using it when the wind kicked up!

Currently I have some dealings with an old underground water reservoir that we are looking to convert into a planetarium complex. Very sturdily built with wonderful brick arches. The Victorians took a lot of pride in their engineering. I haven't got any photos, but this place has an underground reservoir is similar to ours, but a lot bigger. Their engine house is quite spectacular. This photo from our last shoot came from there:

I do miss my old career in Civils, I'm more of a desk jockey now. I used to see all sorts of strange stuff that the public never see. I regret not getting chance to take a look inside the Humber Bridge some years back - you can actually walk the length of the bridge onside, there's even research offices in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK ANGEL View Post
Never ceases to amaze me, I know it's built to more than do the job, but if I was building it and riding it daily, it would be twice the size at least.
I have this same issue with building rooms, flats, sheds, ramps or framework.
My stuff is overkill I know, but I'm just not comfortable otherwise.

Pete.
Yes, I have a habit of overengineering everything that I build. I built a wooden clothes horse that strong enough that I can actually lie on top of it! Consider it like how the Russians and Americans build spacecraft. The Americans went for lightweight and as cheap as possible. The Russians went for simple, rugged and functional. Their Soyuz craft has now been in use since the 60s, albeit in a very modernised state.
Old 14-07-2020, 02:09 AM
Gold Excellence Member

I do have an appreciation for the olde engineering which has most definately been influenced by my father. Spent many days as a kid been taken to see a lot of steam driven applications and the odd water powered mill with the huge wheels and all the mechanical working.

Recently hung up my boots as a design/production engineer. Sadly the industry has been run down in the UK and I would be lucky to find something that would pay more than what I was earning in 2007. I now put small boxes into bigger boxes for a living and I'm better off for it. I do miss having a problem to solve to keep the brain in gear though.
Volks Dollfies ~ DD To Heart 2 Lucy Maria Misora, DDS Custom DDH-04 & DDH-10, DD Samurai Jupiter Sirius, DD Mizunatsu Sayaka Shirakawa, DDS Marisa Kirisame, DDS FGO Caster Scáthach-Skadi, DDS KonoSuba Megumin, DDS Reimu Hakurei
Thirdy goodies are available in our Etsy Shop