UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Doll Maintenance and repair forum.

Old 16-01-2022, 06:17 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Tommo, sorry to hear this mate, I've seen this myself with a doll I took in for salvaging a few years back. With her it was much the same issue, so knee and elbow joints and hands. My understanding was that the previous owner had kept her in his loft or somewhere subject to high temperature in the summer which tpe certainly doesn't like for too long. The hands were going mushy due to exposed cooper wires broken at the palm plate and so I did much the same as Shamus mentioned and powdered the hands well. This gave them a stay of execution but eventually they had to go and I fitted a pair of wooden hands onto Rachel which actually worked quite well. As for the soft tpe, I had to cut it all away till I got to good tpe, I then melted in fresh pieces of tpe which in my experience always seems to make a better repair in the long run. My take on it is that once the tpe has gone mushy it's never coming back and needs to be removed all the way back to good stuff otherwise it spreads, like a dolls version of cancer! Aside from prolonged heat and exposure to brass and copper the other thing that will do this, from what now appears to a fairly common experience, is over oiling. I avoid oiling the hands as the tpe is just too thin and am now doing my gals bodies around every 5 or 6 months, which, fingers crossed, seems to be about right. Good luck with the work mate.
Old 16-01-2022, 06:43 PM
SysAdmin

Sounds like a strange defect.

A bit drastic but is it possible to replace the complete arm? Of course there is the problem to get a new arm.
Old 16-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Diamond Member

so sorry to hear this tommo. i know how you feel as my emma has lots of problems including the same as shamus' girl. a few of her fingers are going green but shes had enough operations. ive actually decided to buy her a new body. fingers crossed for ya
Old 16-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur1960 View Post
Hi Tommo, sorry to hear this mate, I've seen this myself with a doll I took in for salvaging a few years back. With her it was much the same issue, so knee and elbow joints and hands. My understanding was that the previous owner had kept her in his loft or somewhere subject to high temperature in the summer which tpe certainly doesn't like for too long. The hands were going mushy due to exposed cooper wires broken at the palm plate and so I did much the same as Shamus mentioned and powdered the hands well. This gave them a stay of execution but eventually they had to go and I fitted a pair of wooden hands onto Rachel which actually worked quite well. As for the soft tpe, I had to cut it all away till I got to good tpe, I then melted in fresh pieces of tpe which in my experience always seems to make a better repair in the long run. My take on it is that once the tpe has gone mushy it's never coming back and needs to be removed all the way back to good stuff otherwise it spreads, like a dolls version of cancer! Aside from prolonged heat and exposure to brass and copper the other thing that will do this, from what now appears to a fairly common experience, is over oiling. I avoid oiling the hands as the tpe is just too thin and am now doing my gals bodies around every 5 or 6 months, which, fingers crossed, seems to be about right. Good luck with the work mate.
Thanks Arthur, that extremely helpful I have got a reasonable amount of tan tpe so melting it in shouldn't be a problem, it just depends on how much I need to remove to get to the good stuff, I will open her up during this week and then I will see properly how bad she is inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsall View Post
Sounds like a strange defect.

A bit drastic but is it possible to replace the complete arm? Of course there is the problem to get a new arm.
Thanks Tsall, This is no a bad Idea I could possibly get old of a Torso with arms and use them for replacements if everything goes tits up.
Old 16-01-2022, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam&Emma View Post
so sorry to hear this tommo. i know how you feel as my emma has lots of problems including the same as shamus' girl. a few of her fingers are going green but shes had enough operations. ive actually decided to buy her a new body. fingers crossed for ya
Thanks Adam
Old 16-01-2022, 07:30 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam&Emma View Post
Poor Emma! I wondered why we hadn't seen much of her lately. She's not even 2 years old?? That sucks. Very sorry to hear that, mate
Old 16-01-2022, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Tommo - If you need some more tan TPE I have 3 sample bricks of the stuff and really only need one, give me a shout if a couple of bricks would be useful.

Or you could embrace it and get a cyborg arm 3d printed for her!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kr6noy
Old 16-01-2022, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

If it's any kind of encouragement, I did a huge fill repair on my very first doll after I botched a repair using a paste made with xylene (it was like that Alien acid blood!). I cut some fresh tpe into small workable pieces and melted it into a 2" deep gash that was about 7" in length using a soldering iron. I made sure the new tpe melted/fused well with the existing stuff, the work took a couple of days but the repair has held well over 2 years later. I did post pics etc in my repair thread over on TDF but the best source of info is probably Mishka's various repair videos which are on TDF and possibly on YouTube too.
Old 16-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Sorry to hear about this Tommo! And good luck with repairs, mate
Old 16-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Good luck with the repairs, I'll be following with interest.

The theory with the TPE reacting with the metal could be sound - I need to see quite how bad Lynne's old body is in that regard. Her old hands turned gloopy after I redid her fingers, and the rot set in up the arms. I actually kept the old hands wrapped up to one side for a bit, took a look a few months later and they were a sticky mess...
Companion of the lovely Lyngheiður Tórsdóttir a.k.a Lynne - A WM153 #85 - go and say hello on Instagram!