UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Open Forum.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:22 PM
Diamond Member

Default New Camera Thread

Hi all,

this started to encroach on the monthly photo competition thread so pulled it out into its own.

Its becoming obvoious that my Camera is on its last legs. For example, white spots on images, sometimes the memory card has no images at all after taking loads, sometimes she just doesn't want to play and pics are not crisp... Sometimes I even get double images to get that real 3d effect!

Add to that a 1 inch viewing LCD. A menu system that makes windows 3.1 look advanced and her just being a basic point and click and I think that I am pretty justified in looking.

So, what do I buy?

Ideally it would be an Olympus as I really like the images that my camera takes. It may be cheap and cheerful but she definitely punches above her weight.

Problem with that plan is Olympus camera's don't come cheap.

Canon seem to be a lot of camera for a the money but I would have no idea what I was buying.

I don't want to (can't) spend a lot but need something that is better than I currently have.

As my current camera is twenty years old, 2mp point and click thats pretty much knackered you would think that wouldn't be too much of a tall order.

Buying a camera seems to me like starting a new relationship in that you have to discover the others strengths and weaknesses anew where the old camera you just knew what worked and what didn't.

Going to be a sad day indeed when she gets retired but unfortunately its pretty obvious that she's dying.

So, suggestions for a new camera that either is an Olympus or takes photo's as good as an Olympus and doesn't cost the earth to buy (so probably not an Olympus).

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

All the best,

Shamus.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Golden Diamond Member

I use an Olympus Pen Lite E - PL7 which suits my need and I find reasonably easy to use. It is not bulky not too heavy. It serves me well both with doll photography and taking steam trains on the move. A problem developed with the lens at the end of last year's Doll Meet and I had to buy a new (reconditioned) one. Each to his own but I like this camera.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

Shamus,

I am not sure exactly what your budget is, or if you are wanting a cheap SLR or an all-in-one.

Can I suggest https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ as a place to check prices.

My usual advice for people for people looking for a DSLR is not to buy the one that was designed to be bottom of the range as there are limits on them that may frustrate you later. Instead get something was intended to be a step up from that but is a model that is a few years old. You can usually get them steeply discounted or second hand. I expect you can apply the same logic to compacts/bridge etc.

Any camera of not terrible quality should be able to take good photos with a bit of knowledge and good lighting. Better cameras allow you more options when taking control, and quality falls off less when condition are not ideal.

I have been using Canon cameras for 15 years, and I have been very happy with all of them.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

up until last year i was using my mothers koadk easy share 3.2 mega pixel point and shoot camera.

last year i bought a used kodak easy share 8 mega pixel point and shoot for $5.00 usd.

the pics come out a little bluer with the new camera and i adjusted it down to 4.9 mega so i could down load them on the tech site.

carlys_guy
Old 10-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Diamond Member

I see mine is still doing the round on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+hs10&_sacat=0

Excellent bridge camera without faffing (and spending) on additional lenses.

The product ratings say it all.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algaeholics View Post
I see mine is still doing the round on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+hs10&_sacat=0

Excellent bridge camera without faffing (and spending) on additional lenses.

The product ratings say it all.
You mean a Fuji Finepix. I own one, ten years old but still OK. Good gear, no doubt. Yet something that bores me: the distortion of the zoom lens. That's why I prefer my phone now! The camera's in phones are becoming better and better.

1967, Frank Zappa
Old 10-02-2020, 05:48 PM

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/ is worth a look, some decent prices on used gear.

I'm looking to pick up a Fuji X series as I really like the images they can produce. Bit strapped for cash now Nao and Mina are here
Old 10-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongo View Post
I use an Olympus Pen Lite E - PL7 which suits my need and I find reasonably easy to use. It is not bulky not too heavy. It serves me well both with doll photography and taking steam trains on the move. A problem developed with the lens at the end of last year's Doll Meet and I had to buy a new (reconditioned) one. Each to his own but I like this camera.
Cheers Dongo,

man after my own heart on the Olympus front. I seriously think that lil point and click of mine punches well above its weight which is why its been so hard to let her go.

I've been looking at the PL8. serious variances in price just based on case colour (Black is 50 more than white!). Its certainly on the short list but looking around at the other options first as it does seem that you get more for your money with the lower end Canon, Fuji and Nikon camera's... and I am on a very tight budget (impending end of contract) so the purse strings are dictating the viable options.

I've certainly not scratched the Pen off the list
Old 10-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42 View Post
Shamus,

I am not sure exactly what your budget is, or if you are wanting a cheap SLR or an all-in-one.

Can I suggest https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ as a place to check prices.

My usual advice for people for people looking for a DSLR is not to buy the one that was designed to be bottom of the range as there are limits on them that may frustrate you later. Instead get something was intended to be a step up from that but is a model that is a few years old. You can usually get them steeply discounted or second hand. I expect you can apply the same logic to compacts/bridge etc.

Any camera of not terrible quality should be able to take good photos with a bit of knowledge and good lighting. Better cameras allow you more options when taking control, and quality falls off less when condition are not ideal.

I have been using Canon cameras for 15 years, and I have been very happy with all of them.
Cheers Ranger.

I've certainly got no issue with buying an older model (can't get much older than what I already have!). I do worry about buying one second hand as my silly way of thinking is that I keep things like cars, TV's, camera's, etc. until they are dead so if sometone else has sold there's there is a good chance there's something wrong with it... I know, it's completely flawed logic and there are a lot of excellent second user camera's out there.

I took a look at the link. Not the easiest site in the world to Navigate. Seemed that everything that I clicked on took me off to Amazon. What interesting looking at what wa available and comparing the prices.

Canon does seem to have very much taken the market and you don't do that by accident.

At the min they are the front runner on value for money but the variance to the Olympus isn't sufficient to give them unchallenged pole position.

Thanks a lot matey, some great pointers
Old 10-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

(i have a Fugi Finepix S3300 Bridge camera , 14 px, 26x zoom , 2&1/2'' screen , SD card slot, had little use if your interested ?)

reason is I like my canon compact

ST