UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Doll Maintenance and repair forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 24-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Tomcat's Avatar
Tomcat Tomcat is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Uk
Posts: 379
Default Lazy

Seems doll makers of wm are to lazy when it comes to fingers .
Just pulled 2 wires out was shocked at what wires were used no wonder they break real fast .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Tomcat's Avatar
Tomcat Tomcat is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Uk
Posts: 379
Default

IMG_20180925_004404_380.jpg
What is this lol
Disappointing wmdolls
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 AM
MrBacon MrBacon is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DK
Posts: 115
Default

I have a WM doll to.
10 months old, and are now having the same problems with fingers.
The wires are breaking, this is really disappointing.
Thnx to all of you guys here at the forum, sharing your knowledge and experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2018, 04:51 AM
Tomcat's Avatar
Tomcat Tomcat is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Uk
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBacon View Post
I have a WM doll to.
10 months old, and are now having the same problems with fingers.
The wires are breaking, this is really disappointing.
Thnx to all of you guys here at the forum, sharing your knowledge and experience.
My suggestions is as I been told is pull wires out if they piercing skin but do it from Palm of hand .
Removing wires makes fingers extremely floppy . So you could use gloves .
Bandage hands another option .
Or better still total replacement of wires .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-10-2018, 01:18 AM
ABCcupFan's Avatar
ABCcupFan ABCcupFan is offline
Active New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 10
Default

Greetings again

Tomcat, that is what we call cheap fingers.

They take one wire, and double it and then twist it together. Then they wrap it with cotton string and when in the mould the TPE cools and adheres to the cotton string. Quite brilliant I say, other than the wire material. The cotton keeps your girls fingers from twisting on the wire.
Sadly when the repair is done, you won't have that benefit any longer.
I have played with that tag wire and it broke in about the same time the factory fingers did.. Poor Eva's fingers looks like a Jazz hand again. I myself an holding off on repairs again. KÚvin from Fine Love Dolls has been very gracious in helping me obtain some new palm plates for Eva. Direct from WM! (He's a miracle worker!)

I have to cut the thumb and pinky holes myself as they will fit several different model dolls. I may also have to shorten the body. This is no problem for me and my Dremmel tool

The nature of the break I think is this... good old fashioned physics.
Most of them break right where they exit the palm plate. I really do not think there is anything that can stop that. its like if it bends, it touches a sharp edge. I have been extra careful with Eva's fingers and just noticed they all went about the same time less her Pinky and Thumb.

On her Left hand I just used some danged ol House wire!! about 12gauge. with the rubber insulation and a plasticized coating.
Pros: Holding up great, looks great. had a grip that she can ski with.
Cons: Stiff AF to bend, have to be extra careful posing as not to cause a finger poke. Kinda feels unnatural.

I will be sure and update my ideas as soon as I brainstorm into a good fix.
Still, my tutorial is relevant, I also added some videos on removal of the old wires and some close ups of the palm plate. but NOT a pro camera man.

here's some info pics on the WM hand. and one of an SM hand in a mould. SM uses even smaller wires and my 138cm Elf already lost 3 fingers but they are still posing and stuck well enough that I am not messing with them.
The white gauze is also on the WM. It helps the TPE to stick to the plate as mentioned in the fingers.
Best regards!
ABCcupFan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finger 3.jpg (49.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png palmplate.png (238.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SM 138cm hand.jpg (36.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Tomcat's Avatar
Tomcat Tomcat is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Uk
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCcupFan View Post
Greetings again

Tomcat, that is what we call cheap fingers.

They take one wire, and double it and then twist it together. Then they wrap it with cotton string and when in the mould the TPE cools and adheres to the cotton string. Quite brilliant I say, other than the wire material. The cotton keeps your girls fingers from twisting on the wire.
Sadly when the repair is done, you won't have that benefit any longer.
I have played with that tag wire and it broke in about the same time the factory fingers did.. Poor Eva's fingers looks like a Jazz hand again. I myself an holding off on repairs again. KÚvin from Fine Love Dolls has been very gracious in helping me obtain some new palm plates for Eva. Direct from WM! (He's a miracle worker!)

I have to cut the thumb and pinky holes myself as they will fit several different model dolls. I may also have to shorten the body. This is no problem for me and my Dremmel tool

The nature of the break I think is this... good old fashioned physics.
Most of them break right where they exit the palm plate. I really do not think there is anything that can stop that. its like if it bends, it touches a sharp edge. I have been extra careful with Eva's fingers and just noticed they all went about the same time less her Pinky and Thumb.

On her Left hand I just used some danged ol House wire!! about 12gauge. with the rubber insulation and a plasticized coating.
Pros: Holding up great, looks great. had a grip that she can ski with.
Cons: Stiff AF to bend, have to be extra careful posing as not to cause a finger poke. Kinda feels unnatural.

I will be sure and update my ideas as soon as I brainstorm into a good fix.
Still, my tutorial is relevant, I also added some videos on removal of the old wires and some close ups of the palm plate. but NOT a pro camera man.

here's some info pics on the WM hand. and one of an SM hand in a mould. SM uses even smaller wires and my 138cm Elf already lost 3 fingers but they are still posing and stuck well enough that I am not messing with them.
The white gauze is also on the WM. It helps the TPE to stick to the plate as mentioned in the fingers.
Best regards!
ABCcupFan
Thx for post friend .
I'm gonna try garden wire . It says strong and long lasting .
Did play around with it see if it breaks but seemed ok .
Can't believe those dolls use cheap way and rest body is solid skeleton.
Small jointed fingers they need .
Is the plate completely hollow . Will it need filling ?
Thx
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-10-2018, 10:59 AM
siliconefun siliconefun is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 296
Default

Very interesting thread!!
Yes, finger wires and finger pokes are a mess to deal on dolls.
On TPE-dolls I like the much softer finger wires but copper doesn't last when bending too often.
On all my silicone dolls (4woods and especially Abyss) I find that the fingers (steel wires) are way too hard to bend and you need to this very carefully to not damage them but none of the wires are broken yet. Nothing's really perfect.

Best wishes,

- SF -
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2018, 06:17 AM
ABCcupFan's Avatar
ABCcupFan ABCcupFan is offline
Active New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana, USA
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
Thx for post friend .
I'm gonna try garden wire . It says strong and long lasting .
Did play around with it see if it breaks but seemed ok .
Can't believe those dolls use cheap way and rest body is solid skeleton.
Small jointed fingers they need .
Is the plate completely hollow . Will it need filling ?
Thx
TomCat,

I have heard of garden wire failing just the same. Or have bending issues.. what we need to do is pad the exit of the palm plate somehow.
The plate is hollow all the way thru, but u need to drill out the old adhesive.

Caution... the smell of that adhesive powder when you are drilling it will bring back memories of when you got her and she was new. some of the "TPE" smell was actually the adhesive still drying.

(its just hard yet drillable construction adhesive.)

check this video here for that procedure and ummm sorry for the loud cat in the background... seems he wanted to be in the room with me.
Yes the plate is completely hollow, has exits at the rear and 2 notches cut for the thumbwire and the pinky.

you will need to fill the plate with new adhesive. I used a urethane based since it was a little rubbery and I thought it would give some flex.
I think I know how I broke her fingers again.. I sleep with my Eva, and I probably rolled over on her hand in my sleep and pressed it into the bed. SO if you do also, be sure to keep all hands and arms tucked in and away from you!
Telco (telephone) wire will work, but u must twist 5 strands together and then use some heat shrink tubing to make a protective jacket. Use the smallest u can find like 4-5 mm unshrunk.
Be sure to put loops in the bottom to keep the wires from spinning or breaking loose in plate and spinning.. see attached photos.

I even thought of just stuffing some fiber in there to let the fingers "float" and see if that helped them not break. (cotton balls or something like it wedged in good so they will not slip out)


The red lines are the wires and the palm plate is marked. (rough paint drawing)
Hope this helps.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180508_135141.jpg (106.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png shrink.png (132.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fingerfix 2.jpg (70.0 KB, 4 views)
__________________
Known elsewhere as RainKing
Since I met Eva, I feel less Rainy!
She, Chloe, and Ezeri have brightened my life!
Never underestimate the power of a doll.
Also small time doll repair enthusiast
Discord @RainKing#0808
https://dollsbook.com
Huge Fan of the A's B's and C cups!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 PM
MrBacon MrBacon is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DK
Posts: 115
Default

You guys are Pioneers.
Thank you so much for your time and effort in helping out and showing the way.


Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Saxen Saxen is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Devon, SW England
Posts: 216
Default

how about rather using wires, which fatigue and break, springs were used instead. Either a length of spring material could be used in place of the whole wire, or just a short section to allow a bit of flex at the transition between plate and wire.

Lengths of spring material can be bought and either compression or extension spring should work fine (though compression springs might mean that the hands keep opening up and dropping things!

A very quick bit of googling produced this as one source http://www.flexosprings.com/stock-sp...ension-lengths

The material would be resistant to the sort of temperatures that TPE is melted (or cured?) at, so they could even be fitted at the point of manufacture. Of course it would be a bit more pricey than a bit of wire and cotton thread, maybe a whole couple of quid per doll!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.