UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Doll Maintenance and repair forum.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Bronze Member

I think some might find this interesting on TPE in what it contains.

It says that TPE isn't just a polymer, it contains rubber. It is therefore quite possible that in some circumstances TPE may deteriorate.

In addition it is not hard to see why TPE dolls can also develop tears easily around the joints if that area is in compression for to long a period of time.

This is because TPE can have a poor recovery from compression loads if exposed for a long period of time (especially when stored at the wrong temperature)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Firstly, my thanks for all your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Is the issue restricted to the one shoulder?
No

Quote:
Using TPE glue would not work for anything that substantial. It just wouldn't hold... Bit like trying to fix a severed limb with an elastoplast
Yes. Even with no experience of repairing, I can tell that; which is why I started this thread.

Quote:
The only hope assuming that this is an issue restricted to one area of the TPE is to use TPE melted down in Xylene into a paste. Apply and then use a heat gun that will go down to 50 degree's (many heat guns are higher temperatures and you might as well use a flame thrower on them as one of those!). Don't do above 100 degree's and be aware that the TPE holds heat so even if your heat gun has a digital read out of the heat its applying that does not equate to the heat on the surface of the TPE.
I need to investigate heat guns. I'm guessing that they are not the mini-flamethrowers plumbers use. Maybe more like a souped up hair dryer?

Quote:
If her entire body is showing signs of this deterioration, i.e. tiny splits appearing elsewhere I fear that this could be terminal
My thoughts entirely; which is going to open the question of doll disposal.

Quote:
if this is terminal for the body that does not mean that its the end of the road for the head
Don't worry. I had already sussed that.

Quote:
it's the shoulder then its fixable. If the entire surface of the TPE is showing indications of TPE deterioration then it's a more fundamental problem with the TPE.
Alas, it's the entire surface.

Quote:
The canvas bag in those pics. The inside lining looks to be shiny...

Has she been stored in a bag with silicone based water proofing!!!
It's a suit cover made of synthetic canvas. Actually you might have a point there as this was one difference between Doris and the WM girl, who was stored inside one of RLSD's very expensive dust covers. The cuts are not restricted to surfaces which were in contact with the inside of the suit cover, but are worst at these points.

Does anyone know where dust covers might be had more cheaply?

I was experimenting with hanging the girls in the suit covers inside wardrobes. The eye does not pick up the dark colour of the suit cover, so to a casual glance that girl in the wardrobe is just another suit. Like I say, hiding is a whole subject in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsurfie View Post
[URL="https://www.resinex.co.uk/polymer-types/tpe.html"]TPE dolls can also develop tears easily around the joints if that area is in compression for to long a period of time.

This is because TPE can have a poor recovery from compression loads if exposed for a long period of time (especially when stored at the wrong temperature)
Any compression was minimal but I'd plead "guilty" to the temperature being all wrong.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hold the phone....

The canvas bag in those pics. The inside lining looks to be shiny...

Has she been stored in a bag with silicone based water proofing!!!
Some bags have a smell, and not a little one... The TPE can be attacked by contact but inside a small closed places some vapors may attack the TPE too.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:12 AM

for storage bag , just a thought , I store my Latex Lady (inflated) inside a plain color single quilt cover ?

ST
Old 07-04-2019, 12:59 PM
Gold Excellence Member

I fear from the response that Doris's first bodies fate may already be determined. I am assuming that the head was stored seperate to the body so does not have the issues.

If it had have been fixable then Tommo has posted excellent instructions on how to mix TPE using Xylene and what heat gun you would need (Told you he was the man to talk to ).

Here's a link : http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/fo...t=11935&page=5

That should help you to rectifythe minor abbrassions on the WM (if they need to be fixed).

What are you going to do about Doris? Will she now body share on the WM? Thats not so bad. I've got considerably more heads than bodies and whilst I would prefer a ratio of one to one, it does work.

Good luck Alistair, the thoughts of all reading this are with you and poor Doris.

Shamus.
Old 14-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I fear from the response that Doris's first bodies fate may already be determined
I was trying not to jump to conclusions.

Quote:
I am assuming that the head was stored seperate to the body so does not have the issues
It has minor cuts, so some of the damage must have been due to the cold; not the silicon.

Quote:
This is gold dust. Many thanks.

Odd that none of the UK vendors offer a repair service. Not that I'd use the one who sold me her.

Quote:
That should help you to rectifythe minor abbrassions on the WM (if they need to be fixed)
Yes

Quote:
What are you going to do about Doris? Will she now body share on the WM?
Well, I think I should hang on to her, for now at least. Attempting a repair will at least broaden my experience. If the result is a complete disaster, then at least I tried.

By chance I came across a different website which implied that Doris was a WM girl too, and yet when I checked the WM Doll site there was no corresponding doll. Odd. Is it possible that someone pulled wool over the vendor's eyes and slipped them a defective product? It's a minefield out there.

Anyway, I have too many balls in the air: repair Doris versus moving on/ stick with TPE versus the new plush dolls/ go back and buy the girl what I originally wanted but from a different vendor? Again, I recently discovered that this is a possibility.

The other complicator is that the family have decided to come for Easter (you'll note the closed mind, religious festival pattern) so that the girls have to go back into the hide for now. Everything grinds to a halt.

Quote:
Good luck Alistair, the thoughts of all reading this are with you and poor Doris
Thank you, again. I'll report back when I have news.