UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Doll Maintenance and repair forum.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Poor Doris and her friability

Once upon a time I ordered a doll and when she arrived it was clear that a mistake had been made. A bit of wrangling ensued, my money was returned, and I was left with a strange girl who was not as busty as I would have liked. However, I came to quite like her, and called her Doris, even if I never did learn her providence.

Towards the end of last year I decided to put the girls into the hide* as my not-very-open-minded family were about to arrive for the Festive Season. Afterwards I was very busy at work and then workmen descended to fix some problems. So the girls were in the hide a lot longer than expected. It is outside the house' insulation and it was winter.

As you can see from the attached images Doris suffered a bit of damage:

She was not under any physical strain or exposed to water. The WM girl right next to her has just a couple of "cuts".

Something about Doris' "flesh" has changed. She has become friable. Running my finger across her risks causing new "lacerations".

So I seek your advice. I assume that the problem here is that poor Doris originates from a non-mainstream manufacturer and her TPE is of an inferior quality. Time and/ or the winter cold have caused it to start to degrade. I have had a look at videos on the use of TPE glue and filler. The question is whether I should embark on such experiments. It would probably be a good idea for me to try these materials out for my own education. However, if this is a doll which is irretrievably flawed and "heading for the knackers yard" then I'd like to know that now. I need to be realistic in my objectives.

Furthermore, there is no point in buying clothes for a girl who is terminally ill.

*Hides are a whole topic of their own and probably deserve a sub-forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4030005.jpg (32.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P4030004.jpg (21.8 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Alistair; 06-04-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Better title idea
Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

Maybe a heat gun might fix those cracks, it seems to be the method for fixing such cracks as i seen on other doll forum a member had success with it, cracks were not as bad but it seems to be the fix for tpe, the tpe glue i hear can be hit and miss as it seems to make the matter worse if done wrong which is why i see some people talking about heat gun repair
Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Ouch!

It looks like the TPE equivalent of frostbite. ie. dampness freezing and disrupting the polymer bonds.

I feel an experiment coming on...
Old 06-04-2019, 02:21 PM

What's the thinking AH.

I know what I would do, but not really sure it would work, or how good it would look.

Fill it with layers of thick paste tpe Xylene mix, let it settle down for a few days after the last layer and apply baby oil, then use the heat gun.

It's more a case of that's what I always do

Tommo

Old 06-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Is the issue restricted to the one shoulder?

Using TPE glue would not work for anything that substantial. It just wouldn't hold... Bit like trying to fix a severed limb with an elastoplast.

The only hope assuming that this is an issue restricted to one area of the TPE is to use TPE melted down in Xylene into a paste. Apply and then use a heat gun that will go down to 50 degree's (many heat guns are higher temperatures and you might as well use a flame thrower on them as one of those!). Don't do above 100 degree's and be aware that the TPE holds heat so even if your heat gun has a digital read out of the heat its applying that does not equate to the heat on the surface of the TPE.

Tommo is an expert on creating Xylene solutions and heat fixes so maybe he can advise on how he creates it... One thing that I will say though is that Xylene is lethal. Use it with care, outside or in a garage and wear a mask whilst working with it.

If her entire body is showing signs of this deterioration, i.e. tiny splits appearing elsewhere I fear that this could be terminal. Believe me, I am truly sorry to say that as no matter what the heritage of the doll non of them deserve to go out this way. I truly hope that it isn't the case.

If this is terminal do not use the TPE from this doll to fix any others as it would seem to be a flawed mix.

Sure that I don't need to say it but if this is terminal for the body that does not mean that its the end of the road for the head.

I am truly, deeply sorry. And just hope that I am wrong and that Doris can be brought back from this (if it's just the shoulder then she can).

Good luck alistair, the combined thoughts of the siteare with you and Doris.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo10 View Post
What's the thinking AH.
I was thinking of an experiment to establish cause, to prevent this happening to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo10 View Post
Fill it with layers of thick paste tpe Xylene mix, let it settle down for a few days after the last layer and apply baby oil, then use the heat gun.
That's all I can think of... But you would still have the problem of deterioration between where the glue is applied.

No easy long term fix... Only a deep reheat can effectively realign the polymer bonds deeply and throughout. Gluing crud to crud does not remove the crud.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

And as if by magic....

Hiya matey, I thought that you were out on a photoshoot and was just looking at the options until your return.

My thoughts are that if it's the shoulder then its fixable. If the entire surface of the TPE is showing indications of TPE deterioration then it's a more fundamental problem with the TPE.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algaeholics View Post
Gluing crud to crud does not remove the crud.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Hold the phone....

The canvas bag in those pics. The inside lining looks to be shiny...

Has she been stored in a bag with silicone based water proofing!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Diamond Member

I'm sorry to say that I know of a black doll even from an established manufacturer that has done this. She belonged to a friend and I tried a heat repair . . . but it all simply got worse.

Best wishes

Harem

Chloé's book is now available from The Doll House and Cloud Climax
- - - - - - - -
Here's Chloé in CoverDoll in the doll-friendly South of France
- - - - - - - -
Inflatables are a good introduction to dolls - discounts to UK members - please PM me if interested.