UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Open Forum.

Old 21-11-2021, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pc problems

A few times in the recent past and twice last night my pc froze with a blue screen and the words your pc has encountered an error and needs to restart which it then does a few seconds later.
Is there a simple diagnostic program i can run to find out what the problem is or is it time for a new one. Its just a cheap acer tower with windows 10 that i was given almost 3 years ago. All i use it for is streaming videos to my tv. I would like to upgrade it as I want to learn photo editing. Any advice
Old 21-11-2021, 12:00 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Might just need a clean out...

Take off the side and give it a good blow job...

After that, try pushing and wiggling to make sure everything is connected properly.

Double entendres intentional...

Old 21-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Hello Adam,

as algae said - dust can be a source of errors. Usually the blue screen tells you in tech speak what might be the error or at least can give you a hint what might be wrong.

Sometimes it's faulty memory, cpu failing, harddisk slowly dying. It could be due to so many different causes, it's not easy to find out.

Good luck.

Jo
My Phicen minis
Old 21-11-2021, 12:41 PM
Golden Diamond Member

As algae says, clear out the gumf.

Pay particular attention to the CPU fan as if the CPU overheats the system will close down. Canned air is generally the best for clearing out the inside of PC's.

Check the front air intakes for blockages. Some settups the gumf in those can be hidden below the drive bays. The way the air moves is that t is pulled in at the front and pushed out at the back. So many people only clear the back fans.

If you have a graphics card that generally goes before a motherboard (I had 8 GPU's in the life of my last Dell XPS!). Again, check that the GPU fan is working without incumberance.

Also remember to check the fan in the PSU.

Been a while since I needed to use them but the two diagnostics tools built into Windows 10 are

1) Performance Monitor

2) mdsched.exe

The first goes a bit beyond the information that gets returned with task manager.

The second diagnoses just the memory which is most likely to be your issue.

For both of the above I'll leave it to you to track how to use them. Knowing that they are there is half the battle

Its unlikely that your ram chips will be poorly seated if you have not moved your PC so if the issue is with RAM I find it best to replace all of the RAM at the same time... Bit like tyres on a car. you would replace both tyre on the same axle. So it is with Ram chips. Make sure that your motherboard can handle the speed of any new RAM chips.

I assume that you have your system set up to regularly defrag the hard drive so that files that need to be together stay together as excessive track skipping to find bits of files can cause issue.

Keep us in the loop as to what happens.

all the best,

Shamus.
Old 21-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Certainly in the case of my laptop, it was a failed memory module, which in the case of the laptop in question was easy to replace

But I was getting different messages from time to time on the blue screen, all of which turned out to be related to the memory issue. I took photos of the screen messages to show the IT guy
Old 21-11-2021, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the advise guys. I will dig in and have a look in the week. I wanna keep it for streaming movies. Wont be upgrading it as ive been out today and bought a laptop. Just hope i dont smash this one up in frustration like the last 3
Old 21-11-2021, 07:42 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam&Emma View Post
Thanks for all the advise guys. I will dig in and have a look in the week. I wanna keep it for streaming movies. Wont be upgrading it as ive been out today and bought a laptop. Just hope i dont smash this one up in frustration like the last 3
Sounds like the fate of a couple of my ex laptops - one sailed across the room once (typically the best one)
Old 21-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Yep, my first laptop got a fist sized battering...

On the topic of computers (i realise you've just bought a new laptop), for anyone considering a new PC (not laptop) i would always suggest going down the custom built road.

There's a place near me that's been there for about a million years, well trusted and the guy in there built mine. I'll admit, it cost me about 2k because i wanted all high spec star ship stuff blah blah blah but one of the best things is that it came with no bloatware on it. All those "what the hell program is this?" episodes didn't happen. I've bought tons of computers from mainstream shops and i always got six months to a couple of years before they were paper weights... and some of them were bloody expensive. When you go custom, you're in charge of what you have, which is a big factor on price too and you get a 'clean machine' No AOL Messenger pre installed or anything. In other words, it'll be FAST! Mine's a few years old now and still goes from off to the desktop in a few seconds.
Old 21-11-2021, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Still running a 2013 spec rig over here, a regular clean up once a year seems to do the trick, I'll do video editing and streaming every now and then on it but, it's still a fine beastie for coding and editing stuff on.
Old 21-11-2021, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Faulty memory modules are unfortunately more common than they should be. If the crashes are inconsistent this is something you should look in to, as faulty memory can lead to file corruption - file is read into memory, gets corrupted, then is saved back with the corruption.
The good way of detecting it - a memtest86+ boot stick/disc, run it for a while and if you see red you have a problem.
The less technical method - if you have two sticks then run the computer for a while with only one. You will lose performance but the idea is to stress the computer to check if the problem occurs. If you get crashes with one stick in the PC but not the other then you know which one is faulty.
Don't rely on the built-in memory test in Windows, I had a bad stick of RAM recently and the Windows test said it was fine, memtest86+ reported faults in seconds.

If you are getting the blue screens then your computer should be saving logs, I can do some analysis of these so I will take a look if the simpler fixes don't work.