UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Doll Maintenance and repair forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muninn View Post
Oh, forgot to mention, I'll need to deal with closing the wound at some point, and also deal with the wire pokes and rough appearance of her hands. So will be looking at one of those hot air rework station thingys. Any reasonably priced recommendations are welcome.
I have
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use
https://www.toolstation.com/rustins-...r-500ml/p40443
for melting tpe inserts

Tommo
Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member

Top show Sir, I'll probably go for something that that hot air gun as I'll come in useful with other tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspie View Post
Great to see some ingenuity, but perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact the lazy manufacturers and tell them to get off their backsides and fix these sorts of things. Also sending them your ideas of fixes ?
How many more are going to spend upwards of 1000+ for things that break after days/weeks ??
Unfortunately we aren't all repair minded and would end up with a bigger mess than the broken digits in the first place
Yep, indeed. I'm pretty sure that people would be more than happy to pay another tenner on a 1500 doll that has decent hands. It wouldn't take much for them with the economies of scale they have.

There's better fixes than mine which could be quite cost effective if done in a factory - the best I've seen has a 3D printed palm plate with thick wires in tubing. This allows full movement of all finger joints.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muninn View Post
Top show Sir, I'll probably go for something that that hot air gun as I'll come in useful with other tasks.

Yep, indeed. I'm pretty sure that people would be more than happy to pay another tenner on a 1500 doll that has decent hands. It wouldn't take much for them with the economies of scale they have.

There's better fixes than mine which could be quite cost effective if done in a factory - the best I've seen has a 3D printed palm plate with thick wires in tubing. This allows full movement of all finger joints.
3D printing... We have a man for that....

Cheers for all the hard work and sharing your findings Muninn. I really like the universal joint solution and may attempt something similar with Sophies hands.

Yvettes are holding up well after her op last year. Her wires being bass strings (original WM fittings) are all good and I was able to reattach at the wrist.... Sophies on the other hand (excuse the pun) were a train wreck within days of arrival they are sharp, uncapped wires broken at the wrist and poking through the finger tips. Those one's need complete replacement for which I'm thinkng that I'm going to use your universal joints fix.

All the best,

Shamus.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Cheers for all the hard work and sharing your findings Muninn. I really like the universal joint solution and may attempt something similar with Sophies hands.

Yvettes are holding up well after her op last year. Her wires being bass strings (original WM fittings) are all good and I was able to reattach at the wrist.... Sophies on the other hand (excuse the pun) were a train wreck within days of arrival they are sharp, uncapped wires broken at the wrist and poking through the finger tips. Those one's need complete replacement for which I'm thinkng that I'm going to use your universal joints fix.

All the best,

Shamus.
If you're looking for similar, these are competitively priced and conveniently come in packs of 5: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Stai...72.m2749.l2649

I think if I was doing it from scratch I wouldn't bother removing the finger wires from the fingers if they aren't too mangled. You should just be able to trim the wires down a little, and add the joints + the wire that gets epoxyed into the plate. Much simpler. I wasn't sure if there'd be too much movement at the joints, but the TPE stiffens the movement up, plus obstructing the joint by pushing the wires all the way through helps also.

**Usual caveats along the lines of this is experimental so at own risk, dunno how long they'll last etc.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:54 AM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Yeah, I suspect you are thinking of me...

MannequinFan is working on a design, so I'll let him experiment with the physical bits, I'll just throw in a few ideas along the way.

I'm watching the thread on TDF: https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi...6896&#p1466896

I can't print anything right now as Sarah-Lou and Pelin are busy printing a plethora of phallic... yet functional... 'objects'.