UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Dolls in General Forum.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Default Black Background

After seeing Algaes recent sets of Pelin in the dark, I liked how they looked and wanted to take a few myself

Except these were taken in the middle of the day , so they dont quite have the one sided lighting I wanted, the background was removed in editing, with small adjustments to brightness and contrast

Not having to think about the background or the hands makes it much easier to get a nice picture I think! She was just standing against the wall

Feel free to post any pictures of your ladies with a mainly black background, edited is fine or if you can manage the effect naturally then even better
Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Good job! Low key lighting always looks like a professional shoot to me.

If you can find a harder key light, or bring it in closer then shooting indoors with the curtains or blinds closed should be just fine. I did mine during the day like that, though I do actually have a black background.

The B/W bra comes out well too.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Hi CW, Hi AH,

this is the background on my mobile phone. It's quite often left on my desk at work and I've had a couple of comments about whose the girl on the phone, to which the reply is always it's my girlfriend Sophie... Which is factually correct, but I don't expand on that!

on a smallish phone with apps all around the outside she looks stuning with the red lips contrasting against her pale skin. The eye's also seem a more intense green on the phone.

This isn't really the same sort of pic as yours with lighting from one side. Rather its a multi layer viginette (one viginette on top of another, on top of another... think that there were four layers to get to this).

Anyway, that one's my contribution to the thread

Nice pics CW My favourite is the second one where she's looking off to the side.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudWatching View Post

Interesting Cloudwatching - it's very effective. Seems to make the image more 3 dimensional and very life like.

A very arresting portrait of Sophie too Shamus. I'm not sure how you manage to end the conversation, having explained the picture is your girlfriend . Is the multiple layer thing also a photo editing technique?
Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algaeholics View Post
Good job! Low key lighting always looks like a professional shoot to me.

If you can find a harder key light, or bring it in closer then shooting indoors with the curtains or blinds closed should be just fine. I did mine during the day like that, though I do actually have a black background.

The B/W bra comes out well too.
Thanks Algaeholics, it is surprising how well they do come out, maybe it just less to get wrong which still works . That was with the curtains closed but they let a lot of light through, and daylight coming through the open door, it looked a bit better in person but I think the point and shoot camera couldnt quite get what I could see

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Hi CW, Hi AH,

this is the background on my mobile phone. It's quite often left on my desk at work and I've had a couple of comments about whose the girl on the phone, to which the reply is always it's my girlfriend Sophie... Which is factually correct, but I don't expand on that!

on a smallish phone with apps all around the outside she looks stuning with the red lips contrasting against her pale skin. The eye's also seem a more intense green on the phone.

This isn't really the same sort of pic as yours with lighting from one side. Rather its a multi layer viginette (one viginette on top of another, on top of another... think that there were four layers to get to this).

Anyway, that one's my contribution to the thread

Nice pics CW My favourite is the second one where she's looking off to the side.
Thanks Shamus, nice picture, and dont worry it works! Now that you say it I think contrast against the black background is a big part of it which you've got
Id like to use a picture on my phone but I know I'd forget and have to answer those questions!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svevo View Post
Interesting Cloudwatching - it's very effective. Seems to make the image more 3 dimensional and very life like.

A very arresting portrait of Sophie too Shamus. I'm not sure how you manage to end the conversation, having explained the picture is your girlfriend . Is the multiple layer thing also a photo editing technique?
Thanks Svevo, yes I wonder if its having no background which makes her seem to pop out a little?
Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svevo View Post

Hi Svevo,

creating a viginette frames the picture with darker colours around the outside. At it's most simplistic it emphasises the subject matter without the viewer being imediately aware that edges of the picture have been altered.

The approach that I used was to darken the edges, save the image then darken the already darkened edges slowly making the edges darker and drawing the attention to the subject as if nothing else exists but her face.

most photo editing software, even that on your phone, will have a viginette option. The cunning bit is using it for what it wasn't really intended for

The true master of the viginette is Psion. He uses the technique on many of his pics... Take a look at http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/fo...t=11592&page=2 or for more subtle usage https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi...06144&start=15... In fact, just search on Psion and look at a masters work where sometimes the viginette is subtle and other times not.

With Sophie I went for the darkest edges and kept applying it until nothing else but the face existsed.

For info, I know that this is going to be difficult to believe but this is the picture that was the start point for the phone wallpaper (and the end result

As for the why people don't pursue the explanation beyond, "it's my girlfriend"... The advantages of being the boss and others knowing when a short (but friendly) answer is the end of the conversation
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Golden Diamond Member

These are nice CW. Good sharp contrasts. Yes getting the hands out of shot does make it easier, but getting them in shot and natural adds a level of realism.

The 'trick' to low key lighting for us home photographers is to kill as much of the scatter light as possible. Professional black studios are matt black everywhere, floor, ceiling, walls, and also have no uncontrollable light sources. What this means is that the light is absolutely controlled on to the subject. The sheer size of the studios help with this as the open space around the subject allows for back lighting without the light sources being in shot.

We can come to some compromises in smaller spaces. My Low key work with Xiaoli, Faith, Aisling, and originally with Paige has all be done in the spare bedroom using nothing more than some black fleeces and a large black backdrop. Night time helps and black out curtains help further, but the real break through was having 2 'walls' and the surface the subject was on being matt black. I did this by setting up the backdrop to have a 90' bent in it, then put black fleece over the bed or floor.

With this and some experimental work with the light, camera, and subject position I was able to emulate something of the more complex work possible in a proper studio.

Original

My version

Not perfect. The original has 2 light sources spaces well back from the subject, I had 1 very close as I was working in a much smaller space, but not bad considering I think.

With Paige I was able to go one further. Her tiny stature allowed me to basically create a black wall studio for her, though I lit from above, not the side. Hey it was a first attempt

Moving on to the bigger girls, I used this method in various iterations to try and control the scatter

With the main light off, and the single light source directed in to the matt black space, the scatter was controlled well

Larger apertures will sharpen up the shadows and crisp up the image,

but there is something to be said for a little bit of soft focus on certain images

Its all about experimenting with the space you have. As long as you can direct light in to a dark space and control light scattering to other surfaces and reflecting back in to your picture you can accomplish some stunning effects as we are are now seeing for several of our members.

For those who want to see the full shoot, I'll add some links below, but here's a selection of mine

Aisling

Faith

Xiaoli

Paige

Links

Aisling
http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/fo...ad.php?t=11868

Faith
http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/fo...ead.php?t=9317

Paige
http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/fo...ead.php?t=7095

Xiaoli
http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/fo...ead.php?t=8050

The Patchlings
....and so I said to her, "Yes, they're very impressive, but you'll look bloody daft doing that on a horse!"
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrot View Post
Faith

Xiaoli
Thanks Karrot and wow very nice!

All that can only be top marks for effort with brilliant results! Those 2 in particular I really like

Thats a good idea with the black material in a corner held up by those supports to try and stop the light bouncing around too much, something more for me to think about

I think that and with what you and AH have mentioned about a controlled light source could get me better results. I will try it again in the dark with a small lamp or a low powered torch and see what comes out of it before thinking about an almost pop-up bedroom studio, as I think with that kind of setup id then start thinking about a DSLR which might all become a slippery and expensive slope, though it could all be well worth it!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Golden Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudWatching View Post
Thanks Karrot and wow very nice!

I think that and with what you and AH have mentioned about a controlled light source could get me better results. I will try it again in the dark with a small lamp or a low powered torch .......

Thanks Mate

All you need to do is get a box, put your lamp in it, and have the open side facing the direction you want your light to come from. The box will stop the light scattering all round and make it a usable directional light source.

K

The Patchlings
....and so I said to her, "Yes, they're very impressive, but you'll look bloody daft doing that on a horse!"