PDA

View Full Version : Eyelashes glue for Silicone

Tex
10-04-2022, 10:24 AM
Julia has been naughty! i told her not to rub her eyes but guess what she did? Claims hay fever!

As a result one of her eyelashes has come away on one side - just about still attached on the other side.

Trying to stick it back with eyelash glue has not been a big success (lasts about 1 day).

So should i be brave (on her behalf - after all it wont hurt me) and pull it off altogether then stick it back afresh with something that will stick it to silicone?

Or should i get some new ready glued eyelashes and try them? Or some non ready glued eyelashes and use something like Sil-Poxy?

Super glue sounds a bit permanent not not too sure about that.

Any thoughts, horror stories or better still, success stories welcome.

algaeholics
10-04-2022, 10:45 AM
Acetone acts as a solvent towards superglue so superglue is not quite as permanent as you may think.

It's also useful for ungluing protestors from highways...

Gavla82
10-04-2022, 10:49 AM
Works well on TPE, not sure on silicone.

Best glue I've ever used.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001C42J9I/

Tex
10-04-2022, 10:52 AM
Interesting, i found a lot of advice about sticking to TPE but not really anything about sticking to silicone.

I don't want to be the first to find out that super glue (or acetone) dissolves silicone.

GazzaGreen
10-04-2022, 11:25 AM
I#ve had eyelash problems forever with Kimberley and found once an eyelid has come off its really hard to reattach because it becomes very firm and hard to shape. Usually i put a new eyelash on and they go on much easier.

I've used evastick to attach eyelashes. A small coating on the lash and eyelid. leave to become tacky, then attach eyelash. Sticks immediately and hardens quite fast. Permanent though and may leave a mess if you're not careful. I wouldn't use it on a doll, only on the third party eyelid...

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=3814&pictureid=88484

Gavla82
10-04-2022, 11:30 AM
You have to remember, these lashes used by the girls manufacture and replacement ones you buy from shops/online are only really a temporary thing. Just like the nails. So after a few uses, they do weaken and get brittle or stiff with the glue.

Primark has a lot of lashes, they cheap, but work well and some of them look more realistic in length as well.

DeleteK?arlos
10-04-2022, 11:33 AM
I've only had to reattach eyelashes once in 2 years using regular eyelash glue, and they've been good ever since. Must be a silicone thing. https://emoticons.datahamster.com/scratchchin.gif

Super glue will certainly do the trick, but as I found out with my first doll, it's very, very unforgiving if your motor skills aren't quite as precise as they could be, so caution required. :tu

Tommo10
10-04-2022, 11:40 AM
When I changed the eyes in my DS Kayla head I caught the eyelashes and pulled them off, I couldn't get superglue to stick:confused:,
to replace them I bought some pure acetone, Permatex and coloured pencils ground down and followed this, not sure if you can view this, it's on ODC.

http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=5484.0

Tex
10-04-2022, 12:03 PM
That was helpful, thanks.

It all looks a bit tricky, perhaps she needs to keep her shades on :)

Karrot
10-04-2022, 07:11 PM
Super Glue does work on silicone, but the softer DS silicone is a little more 'greasy' so you need good quality superglue (and a fresh bottle so its not oxidized as all

I wouldnt pull the lash off completely, its much harder to stick a lash back on from fresh. I'd simply stick the loose end back down

also note Superglue can often have a vapour, so turn the iris away from the bit you are working on as the vapour can cause a clouding over the iris and would need to be removed with a cotton bud and IPA or acetone, but that can also cause issues with the eye if it reacts with the plastic of the eye......

K

algaeholics
10-04-2022, 07:46 PM
Yup, as Mr. K says, don't remove it completely if you can help it as you have a baseline to work with.

Perhaps put a bit of greaseproof paper between the eye and the eyelash/lid whilst affixing.

I am aware that acetone will melt the plastic of WM eyes. Essentially, acetone and ABS plastics hate each other with a vengeance!

jock001
10-04-2022, 08:15 PM
Was that a good tip to use the saucepan ? What about removing the eyeball to avoid sticking it as well ?

Tex
10-04-2022, 08:28 PM
Advice much appreciated, thanks.

Karrot
10-04-2022, 09:11 PM
Was that a good tip to use the saucepan ? What about removing the eyeball to avoid sticking it as well ?

Sadly pulling a DS eyeball out is not a good option, getting the eye unit back in is tricky, can damage the silicone round the eye, and has a good chance to removing the eyelash again! :(

K

jock001
11-04-2022, 07:59 PM
pulling a DS eyeball out is not a good option,

Thanks for tip. I was going to try Allie eyebacks in Spike but not now.

Karrot
11-04-2022, 10:21 PM
Thanks for tip. I was going to try Allie eyebacks in Spike but not now.

Sorry, im missing something, Who is Spike??

K

jock001
12-04-2022, 07:09 PM
This is Spike. She's a DS167 with a Sinodoll S13 "Aurora" head which I drilled through to put a long eyebolt into the DS peg, so I could hang her up, as her feet were getting damaged even from the minimal amount of standing that she does.

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=256423#post256423

Anyway, irony seems to be wasted on you lot.

The eyebolt has the unfortunate effect of making her head look pointy, which Revol was kind enough to paint over. I don't know how he did it, and he also wiped out the date stamp. In the "weapons" thread I tried to do this on the camera and only succeeded in getting the factory default, but have found the handbook and now know how to switch it off.

http://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=251865#post251865

I was also able to open her mouth with a craft knife and found that there is an oral cavity although not advertised as such. Phil at TDH says S6, S7 and S17 have larger cavities.

Trust this explains.
J

algaeholics
13-04-2022, 07:42 AM
My eyebacks are unlikely to be much use on a DS I'm afraid.

Mrs Allie. 💕

Karrot
13-04-2022, 09:05 AM
This is Spike.....

...Trust this explains.
J

It does indeed, Thanks Jock :tu

K

Miss K
14-04-2022, 08:48 PM
Trying to stick it back with eyelash glue has not been a big success (lasts about 1 day).

Hiya Tex,

Mr Flibble (aka "Hunt the Shunt" on TDF) had success with using Micro Kristal Klear on both a TPE and Silicone doll.

Hope no one gets angry with me posting a link to a TDF:
https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148601

The great thing about Micro Kristal Klear, is that if you make a mess with it (Mr Flibble made a big mess, poor Jennifer's face was all covered in the white stuff), it just peels off. It took a couple of attempts with his Silicone Piper Jessica (had to hold the eyelash in place for a good two minutes.)

Mr Flibble is such a klutz with these tasks. There was glue all over the place!

Love from Miss K,

XOXO

Tex
15-04-2022, 06:07 AM
Good information, thanks