PDA

View Full Version : Journalist looking for contributors

red_h3ad
10-03-2023, 02:29 PM
Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting here. My name's Brit Dawson, I'm a journalist working on a piece for British GQ about people who consider themselves to be in relationships with love dolls.

The feature will be a longread, and will tell the stories of those in these relationships – how they got into them, what the dynamic is like, how their families and friends responded, how they see the future of artificial companionship, etc.

I'm looking for additional contributors based in the UK, and wondered if any of you would be interested in speaking with me for my piece? You can remain anonymous.

I understand that many of you will be hesitant about speaking to the press, but I want to reassure you that I've written widely about sex and sexual subcultures, and will handle this story with care and treat its subjects with respect. The feature will be narrative-led and sex-positive.

You can find examples of my previous work here: https://muckrack.com/brit-dawson

If you're interested in speaking, please drop me an email: brittanymaedawson(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you!

algaeholics
10-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Frankly, the constant barrage of 'academics' and the 'press' is becoming somewhat tiresome.

The title of this forum is 'UK Love Doll Forum', not 'UK Sex Doll Forum'.

You have reached a place where sex is not the primary motivator, despite your apparent preconceived notions.

Ich Will
10-03-2023, 03:16 PM
I agree with the esteemed member above :withstupi

a word to the wise, don't private message anyone unless they have expressed interest, it didn't work with the last guy, I don't think it will work for you any better.

p.s. have a look at my sig for how I view my relationship

red_h3ad
10-03-2023, 03:28 PM
Thank you both for replying! I want to clarify that I'm specifically exploring loving, romantic partnerships between people and their dolls, as opposed to sex. As an example, two people have shared their stories in detail – how they first discovered their love of dolls, what the relationship means to them (companionship in times of loneliness; respite from the messiness of human relationships), and their day-to-day lives with their doll partners.

My aim is offer readers an insight into the lives of doll owners, and to hopefully encourage them to look beyond 'sex' dolls and clickbait headlines and understand motivations for owning a doll, and the life-altering benefits it can provide.

No pressure of course, and I'm sorry if you've been inundated with academics and journalists – I can totally understand the frustration in a private setting like this. I would just love to get some insight from UK-based doll owners, as much mainstream attention has been on the US.

red_h3ad
10-03-2023, 03:31 PM
Ah, I can see my choice of writing 'sex and sexual subcultures' was off-base – I apologise! I've written widely about sex and relationships, and unique subcultures within that realm, is what I mean. I'm acutely aware that dolls provide companionship for many, and didn't mean to imply otherwise.

algaeholics
10-03-2023, 03:37 PM
...My aim is offer readers an insight into the lives of doll owners, and to hopefully encourage them to look beyond 'sex' dolls and clickbait headlines and understand motivations for owning a doll, and the life-altering benefits it can provide...Might I suggest you obtain one for yourself and experience the relationship development first hand? Each and every one of us is different and we really don't appreciate labels.

I can't see there being much difference between the US and the UK. Why would there be?

Talusia
10-03-2023, 04:18 PM
‘People, like to make themselves into smaller groups of people, in order to feel strong, by excluding others.’

‘There are dozens of us! DOZENS!!’

:wtf :b

This Journalist asked politely about relationships with love dolls.
She did not define any characteristics of those relationships.
To take offence that sexual activities are presumed to be involved is nonsense.

The hostility is unwarranted and unbecoming.

Talusia

Adam&Emma
10-03-2023, 04:34 PM
Nope.. Read the thread 3 times now and still cant find the hostility :rolleyes:

revoL annaerB
10-03-2023, 04:34 PM
I don't see any hostility and it doesn't appear that red_h3ad does either, Algae was simply clarifying a regular misunderstanding due to part of the opening post, which was then explained more clearly by red_h3ad, also nobody said they were offended about anything.

Ich Will
10-03-2023, 05:03 PM
hostile, me? no!

I was just trying to be friendly and warn against pm's as the last journalist said they wouldn't send any without prior contact and then pm'd me and others who hadn't expressed any interest

psion satori
10-03-2023, 05:44 PM
Sounds interesting Brit. Happy to have a chat. I assume this is a paid gig?

Psion

Tommo10
11-03-2023, 08:41 AM
:welcome red_h3ad

I have to congratulate you.:b

You're the first Journo in my time here that's had the brains to post directly on the site, I normally have to give them a kick up their backside to stop them upsetting members with unsolicited private messages.

Personally this is not my thing, I am sure some members will help.

Best of Luck.

Tommo:tu

ClosetDollFan
11-03-2023, 01:18 PM
I'm happy to have a chat about this over email or private message under the guarantee of anonymity. This is for professional reasons, not because I'm ashamed. I'm sure we can all agree that as doll fans we're a somewhat unique - and very often maligned - fringe group.

I hope that anything written about the community will be done so with genuine respect and integrity, and not for cheap thrills or clickbait.

Willendorph
12-03-2023, 06:23 PM
I was looking on TDF today and saw this: https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164110

If you're a journalist looking for insight - this is a post about an 8 year relationship with a doll, so sounds a lot like what you're looking for in terms of information.

red_h3ad
13-03-2023, 02:43 PM
I've only just checked this again after the weekend – thank you so much to everyone who's replied! I really appreciate the responses and advice. I'll reply individually to those interested. Thanks again!

Adam&Emma
13-03-2023, 04:58 PM
I was looking on TDF today and saw this: https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164110

If you're a journalist looking for insight - this is a post about an 8 year relationship with a doll, so sounds a lot like what you're looking for in terms of information.

that was a lovely story.. thanks for sharing

red_h3ad
30-03-2023, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know that my story has gone live: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/article/the-deeply-human-love-stories-of-people-and-their-ai-sex-dolls

Due to time constraints, I wasn't able to speak to anyone from the UK Love Doll Forum, but I really appreciate people responding to me and agreeing to contribute. I'll be sure to get in contact should I write about the community again (which I'd like to!).

I hope you all like the piece, and you feel it reflects the community well.

Thanks again!

After Dark
30-03-2023, 02:52 PM
I enjoyed reading the article. Thanks for sharing.
On the whole it was a balanced presentation of doll ownership. Although, in my opinion, it did fall in to the trap of trying to justify and explain doll companionship to the wider community when many - including myself - don't seek to or feel the need to validate our existence.
I'm still waiting for the article to be written that focuses on the guy that has had hundreds of lovers, retains many female friends, has no negative opinion or terrible experience with women but simply prefers the company and intimacy of dolls to real people. There's this need to outline issues, inadequacies or relationship failures as if it's a path in to this strange world. What about the confident, attractive, happy, sociable successful guy that just digs living with dolls?
I'll have to wait a little longer it seems.
But I did enjoy reading your article. It was thoughtful and well written :tu

shamus
30-03-2023, 04:56 PM
My view is different to AD's.

I found the piece to have too many little... not so much errors as me thinking "No, thats not right".... to really get past. It wasn't a hatchet job which was nice and I think that the sort of things that I was picking up on were not really the sort of things that most readership of GQ wouldn't pick up on.

well, maybe with the exception of "artificial doll"... That would be a breather :21:24... No worries, easy mistake when one is excited about writing a peice on such a fantastic subject.

I won't go through all of the mistakes that I found as, as I say, they are things that we notice but anyone outside this world wouldn't.... Actually... Except maybe the line that singles out ODC and TDF but then puts us in brackets next to TDF as their UK equivalent.... Way to get us all back in our trenches that Tommo's only just managed to nail a do not enter sign on.

That may not make sense... Think of it that you just wrote "Ford, General Motors (and their German counterpart BMW)".

Bet that just made Tommo's day seeing the site link in GQ... Said tongue in cheek. We're going to get a load of peeps appearing for five minutes and all of them are going to need to be approved and monitored by him (Tommo mate... either put the new members shutters up for a month or come join us in the trenches :21).

Oh, and that Mrs potato head doll :21:24 Of all of the dolls images that could be used you just have to look at her hands to know the quality of that one. Anyone could go to Jinsan and buy a dozen different girls that look more like the woman in the pic than the one that she's got sat next to her. Being fair she probably just wants to make as much money as possible so buy cheap as chips, slap your name on it and add a zero to the price tag.... Make hay while the sun shines and all that

I think that another opportunity has been missed to show these girls as we see them. I don't think that it was a bad peice but it just seemed to go over the same old ground in the same way with the same people in it that have been in so many articles and TV programs before.

You should have spoken to Lulu. Your article would have been completely different... And I wouldn't be sitting here scratching my head thinking.... Revere Realldoll???.... Think that you spelt Jinsan incorrectly :21:24.

Anyway, congrats on getting published. Its not really my cup of tea but thanks for not doing a hatchet job on us.

Shamus.

Lulu1971
30-03-2023, 05:29 PM
I saw plenty of positives in it, although I did pick up on a few things (UK counterpart indeed!) And yes, if I'd got involved in this there certainly would have been a different female viewpoint. I didn't offer because I'd literally just spent a lot of time helping another person with a similar project. But on the whole I thought this was a decent article.

Karrot
30-03-2023, 06:37 PM
What about the confident, attractive Devastatingly Handsome, happy, sociable successful guy that just digs living with dolls?

You spelt it wrong mate, I fixed it for you.....

K

After Dark
30-03-2023, 10:26 PM
You spelt it wrong mate, I fixed it for you.....

K

Thanks buddy. Murphy told me so it must be true...

Karrot
31-03-2023, 06:46 AM
she aint wrong, Poppet! :D

K

After Dark
31-03-2023, 03:06 PM
she aint wrong, Poppet! :D

K

I think what I was trying to say, as I've tried to say many times before when these reporters and journalists come knocking is that I get pissed about doll ownership being diagnosed as a symptom if you know what I mean?
I'm there for anyone on the forum with problems but it does annoy me somewhat that fellas who seem to be getting along just fine in the world can't just enjoy dolls ...symptom free. I just much prefer them to real women ;)

Karrot
31-03-2023, 03:11 PM
I think what I was trying to say, as I've tried to say many times before when these reporters and journalists come knocking is that I get pissed about doll ownership being diagnosed as a symptom if you know what I mean?
I'm there for anyone on the forum with problems but it does annoy me somewhat that fellas who seem to be getting along just fine in the world can't just enjoy dolls ...symptom free. I just much prefer them to real women ;)

I know what you mean mate. I admint Jess was "bought to fill an empty bed" because I was having trouble sleeping without another body being there (sounds a little sinister but hey ho) but I want lonely, I wasnt pining for another relationship and wary of being hurt again. I just wanted a thing in bed to cuddle that was better than a pillow.

It was AFTER Jess arrived I discovered the real joys of having dolls in my life.

K

Tighes1
31-03-2023, 09:08 PM
Here’s the article.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/article/the-deeply-human-love-stories-of-people-and-their-ai-sex-dolls

Agent0013
01-04-2023, 10:27 PM
It was an interesting read.

My biggest question after reading it was 'what's an iDollator?' I may be pretty new to the world of dolls still, but I've never heard that term outside of that article. I've honestly not picked up on a 'term' that we use to describe ourselves as interested in this subject.

Karrot
01-04-2023, 10:33 PM
Seems to be the accepted phrase for us these days, not that I recall being asked.... :whistle::whistle:

Could be worse I guess.

K

Agent0013
01-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Based on my experience it doesn't seem popular in the community. lol.

Whoever coined it missed the opportunity to pick iDollizer instead.

However, I'll be sticking with the title I've been told to stick to by a certain someone: Drow Slave. If she's in a good mood I get to go with Drow Servant instead.

algaeholics
02-04-2023, 10:01 AM
I use the word 'guardian'. That fits for me. :tu

Karrot
02-04-2023, 10:34 AM
I like "Partner"

K

Ich Will
02-04-2023, 10:38 AM
With Callie, I am "husband"

with the others, I am "friend"

algaeholics
02-04-2023, 10:42 AM
I like "Partner"Problematic when you have 20 of 'em! 😄

Karrot
02-04-2023, 10:57 AM
Problematic when you have 20 of 'em! 😄

I got 5 that consider the term applicable. Polygamy isnt quite right thou.... Maybe "Dollygamy" :D

K

Agent0013
02-04-2023, 12:20 PM
Everything between this and my previous post is what I'd noticed! Everyone has a term that works for them and usually it isn't so much a descriptor of the fact that they own a doll, but a descriptor that works to describe their relationship with their doll. I think that's pretty cool.

Karrot
02-04-2023, 02:09 PM
I think thats about spot on Agent :tu

K

After Dark
03-04-2023, 05:27 PM
I use the word 'guardian'. That fits for me. :tu

I think it sounds too much like Adulterer :wtf

So I'll be sticking with "bloke who loves dolls" :tu

Adam&Emma
03-04-2023, 05:38 PM
my girls are just refered to as my girls... I however am called butler, skivvy, beardy boy and a host of unrepeatable names. i love it :p

psion satori
03-04-2023, 05:55 PM
I think it sounds too much like Adulterer :wtf

So I'll be sticking with "bloke who loves dolls" :tu

AKA Poppet :21

Psion

Ich Will
03-04-2023, 06:01 PM
I however am called butler, skivvy, beardy boy and a host of unrepeatable names. i love it :p

I get much the same and have never been happier

Gavla82
05-04-2023, 10:30 AM
"Shoe Gatherer" or "Cash machine" seems to be my names. :21 But Chloe is "Little Madam" or "her ladyship". Elena is "sweetie". But yeah "the girls" is most commonly used.

shamus
05-04-2023, 10:49 AM
I concur Gavla.

I think that however we refer to them the commonality is that they are referenced as entities, not commodities.

All of us here are different, we all refer to the girl in different ways. Even if we joke with and about them there is nothing but respect for them. Both our own and those living with others.

Actually, in itself that above sentence written absent mindedly reveals the deep rooted way we consider them.

"Living" with others. Not owned by.

There seems a shared mindset that when they arrive we somehow need to earn their love and respect. They ask for nothing but are given everything.

Andyman
05-04-2023, 12:24 PM
You're getting philosophical again buddy :21

Mark Stratton
05-04-2023, 02:36 PM
I concur Gavla.

I think that however we refer to them the commonality is that they are referenced as entities, not commodities.

All of us here are different, we all refer to the girl in different ways. Even if we joke with and about them there is nothing but respect for them. Both our own and those living with others.

Actually, in itself that above sentence written absent mindedly reveals the deep rooted way we consider them.

"Living" with others. Not owned by.

There seems a shared mindset that when they arrive we somehow need to earn their love and respect. They ask for nothing but are given everything.
https://www.uklovedollforums.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=4046&pictureid=94859

Nothing wrong with a bit of deep contemplation now and again. It helps rest our moorings. In my case I try to intersperse my dittos between what I hope are slabs of good humour. Not sure I get it right at times, but like all of us on here, always have good intention.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to say how impressed I am with the folks here.
From knowing nothing, have learnt so much already. Thank you. Some of you have amazing Twitter pages. Most enthralled me is after a little session looking last night

P.S. Yes Andyman. Sometimes we need a bit of uplifting and a tiny little nudge:)

Adam&Emma
05-04-2023, 03:11 PM
Both our own and those living with others.

this is something that crossed my mind recently. ive met a lot of other peoples dolls now and i realised that i look at them with a similar respect that i do my own. yea ok maybe i didnt need asking twice if i wanted to smack Maddies bum but i think you know what i mean

Andyman
05-04-2023, 03:20 PM
yea ok maybe i didnt need asking twice if i wanted to smack Maddies bum but i think you know what i mean

Dreaming of laying my head on Maddies awesome chest in no way lessens my respect for her.
All the girls and guys and elves who live with us are part of our reality