Thread: "Like" Button
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2021, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoL annaerB View Post
Many moons ago I ran a small Zetaboards (Doesn't exist now) forum and searched for coding to add a like button, the only code I could find included a dislike button, which I didn't want, so I did a sneaky minor modification to effectively eradicate the dislike button. What I found was the like button got used and comments were still posted by those who prefer the written word over a click, or those who had something to add and embellish on the topic, the like button did not render the thread stale
I like this

I think like buttons are great, they allow quick easy ways of showing appreciation for something and getting likes gives that little hit of dopamine and encouragement to the person receiving the likes.

Dislike buttons SUCK, all they offer is a low-effort way to be negative. Offering people an anonymous way to be mean never works out well. Reading Shamus' first post it looks like he's assuming that like and dislike buttons come hand in hand, but they don't have to (and shouldn't).

I reckon being able to like a post would be an interesting feature.

I was thinking about being able to like images rather than posts. In theory an image from an album could be linked in a thread and the likes it generates get added to it in the album. The same image might be linked in multiple threads and all the likes it gathers wherever it is linked could all be added to its total. But... That'd be a world of pain to set up, and it all goes out the window for images that aren't uploaded to albums, so it's a fundamentally flawed train of thought anyway.