UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Open Forum.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Golden Diamond Member

watched Arcane on Netflix and was absolutely blown away by it.

The series is nine 40 minute episodes that splits into the first three then the second six almost told seperately.

The characters are multi dimensional, the lines of good and bad are blurred, you care about the characters, even the seemingly bad and particularly the insane! technically the animation is second to non. voice acting is perfect. I absolutely cannot fault it. Can't believe that I took so long to watch it as thought that it would just be another game tie in shoot em up.

I think these music videos do a better job than the actual trailer.

Right, now whats wrong with me that I think that Jinx, Nix and Harley Quinn are all cute and need adopting
Old 14-01-2022, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
watched Arcane on Netflix and was absolutely blown away by it.

The series is nine 40 minute episodes that splits into the first three then the second six almost told seperately.

The characters are multi dimensional, the lines of good and bad are blurred, you care about the characters, even the seemingly bad and particularly the insane! technically the animation is second to non. voice acting is perfect. I absolutely cannot fault it. Can't believe that I took so long to watch it as thought that it would just be another game tie in shoot em up.

I think these music videos do a better job than the actual trailer.

Right, now whats wrong with me that I think that Jinx, Nix and Harley Quinn are all cute and need adopting
I think I recommended that when it came out, they dropped 3 episodes per week and it was agony waiting for the next drop.

Agree with everything you said, wonderful show, stunning animation, no need to have any knowledge of the videogame (although I played it for years and Jinx was one of my favourite characters, along with Heimerdinger and Vi, and Jayce come to think of it, although Blitzcrank was my absolute fave. BEEP BOOP).

Totally agreed on Jinx, Nix and Harley Quinn. All beautifully crazy. Love them all.

Anyway, a couple of things I watched recently:

Don't Look Up

Incredible cast, it's supposedly a commentary on climate change but it seemed like more of a commentary on American right wing politics in general. Brilliant but pessimistic and a little depressing.

Stay Close

I enjoyed it, binged it over a few nights, although it did have some glaring plot holes and a couple of characters whose motivation for their peculiar actions was completely lost on me. It was slick and polished, but not as clever as it seemed to think it was. Worth a punt if you like that kind of thing, but I just started watching The Fall and that seems like a more grounded but clever murder/detective show.

The Witcher series 2

Not gonna post a trailer, everyone knows the Witcher by now. More of the same, I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't quite as special as the first series imo.
Old 16-01-2022, 03:11 PM
Diamond Member

just watched Matrix 4... i kinda lost interest in 3 so missed a bit of the story but this was bloody good.
Old 16-01-2022, 03:14 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam&Emma View Post
just watched Matrix 4... i kinda lost interest in 3 so missed a bit of the story but this was bloody good.
Really? I read it was full of woke garbage and retcons, ala Star Wars
Old 16-01-2022, 03:38 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willus View Post
I think I recommended that when it came out, they dropped 3 episodes per week and it was agony waiting for the next drop.
Appologies, my bad. But we concur. It is absolutely brilliant on so many levels.

Watched the entirety of the Witcher season 2 on day of release. Just as brilliant as the first season. (I felt really sorry for the lovely Bruxa in Episode 1... That episode felt like a complete film in its own right).

Don't look up has been absolutely slated by the critics. Luckily I had watched it before reading their bitching and I concur with you. It's great viewing and a serious commentary of Trump era head in the sand type American politics combined with tech billionaires influencing policy... Hope that you kept watching past the credits for the final scene with the president?

Not seen Stay Close yet, but going on the quality of your other recomendations its been added to my list

Did you watch the last episode of the Expanse... I seem to be in a minority but I was disappointed with it as they tried to cram too much into too short an episode so the battles lacked the feeling and depth of those that had come before. Really felt to me like another Game of Thrones / The Sopranos type ending.
Old 16-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Not seen Stay Close yet, but going on the quality of your other recomendations its been added to my list

Did you watch the last episode of the Expanse... I seem to be in a minority but I was disappointed with it as they tried to cram too much into too short an episode so the battles lacked the feeling and depth of those that had come before. Really felt to me like another Game of Thrones / The Sopranos type ending.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Stay Close, but it was a bit stupid in some respects. Be warned!

Haven't watched this week's episode of the Expanse yet. I'm not sure how I feel about this series, especially the portrayal of Philip. One moment I feel like they want me to sympathise with him, the next he's acting like a brainwashed extremist, then back and forth again. It feels like it's trying to turn me against Holden too. Weird.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing whether they go into some of the truly dark stuff on Laconia from the books. I think I'll go watch it now actually... Then I might make a start on reading book 9 that arrived on Friday

I was worried that this series would feel rushed - they're trying to cram books 6, 7, 8 and I assume 9 into one series, while the earlier series' have roughly followed the plotlines of the first 5 books (with bits overlapping here and there, but plenty of time to cover the story with the pace).

EDIT: I just watched Friday's episode. I loved it, one of my favourite episodes so far, although I'm not sure how much my brain was filling in plot having read the books. A lot was happening and I think some of what happened would have been lost on me if I hadn't read them. I'm excited to see the Laconia stuff that's coming but how they're going to tell the story of 3 books in the half season left of the show worries me.

Last edited by Willus; 16-01-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 17-01-2022, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Not sure if this one has been recommended before but it went up on Netflix recently so I figured I'd mention it.

The Gentlemen

Guy Ritchie back on form. I reckon this is as much of a classic as Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Brilliant film. The dialogue is witty, the plot is hilarious, the characters are fantastic. Probably my favourite Ritchie film.

Matthew McConaughey is brilliant as always. Charlie Hunnam is great and it's refreshing to see him not putting on an American accent. Michelle Dockery is wonderful (and her accent in this really does it for me). Hugh Grant plays a deliciously unlikable sleazy tabloid journalist. Colin Farrell steals every scene he's in as "the coach".

I really can't recommend this one enough. I am about to watch it for the 3rd time.

Also, on the topic of McConaughey - the first season of True Detective is quite old now but it was AMAZING. Apparently it's on NowTV but I don't have that. A scene in episode 4 is one of the most impressive scenes I have ever seen in any show or movie - one continuous shot of a crazy raid/gunfight that goes on for something like 12 minutes. Absolutely crazy.
Old 20-01-2022, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Just watched a classic

Old 21-01-2022, 12:43 AM
Golden Diamond Member

Really did not expect to enjoy these but f*ck me. Sat in bed and ended up watching them both back to back on Netflix yesterday. Some serious laugh out loud moments

Old 21-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Gold Member

Another recommendation from your friendly neighbourhood media junkie.

Altered Carbon

It's on Netflix. If you are into sci fi/cyberpunk dystopias this is one of the best shows out there. It's set in a future where consciousness is backed up on a chip in base of the brain. Human bodies are referred to as "sleeves". The rich are essentially immortal while the poor... well, I'll just say it has some rather callous and dark plot elements.

The first season is fantastic. The second season doesn't have quite the same punch, but is still good. Based on a novel by Richard Morgan who has written some great stuff.

I've watched it all twice before but I'm in the mood to watch it again.