UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Doll Maintenance and repair forum.

Old 23-06-2022, 11:30 AM
Gold Excellence Member

Its heart breaking to loose a head, as to me that's the personality. However when you get this kind of damage maybe it's time to bite the bullit and upgrade the head to a new one.... as I call it. Then you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking in the same way again.

Gary and Kimberley

Old 23-06-2022, 11:35 AM
Diamond Member

I know you can get a fibreglass reinforced filler in places like halfords. Ive used it on car bodies when i was younger. Would be a cheaper way to fill the cavity
Old 23-06-2022, 11:50 AM
Platinum Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam&Emma View Post
I know you can get a fibreglass reinforced filler in places like halfords. Ive used it on car bodies when i was younger. Would be a cheaper way to fill the cavity
Yes Bondo Body Filler would work. The key here is that these just not enough mass for the JBWeld to grab on to, and I'm betting it wasnt the JBWeld thats failed here. Looking at the OP pics, the base of the heads core is very thin. Filling that cavity is key.

Also loosening up the neck would be wise, You should be able to separate the TPE from the neck skeleton fairly easily, and some baby oil on the joints and some manipulation may be all thats needed.

K

Click the pics for their threads...
"...there was an odd smell of fish coming from it.." The Tale of Fluffy Kittenpaws

Last edited by Karrot; 23-06-2022 at 05:26 PM.
Old 23-06-2022, 12:26 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrot View Post
This is likely why its gone in the first place, if theres a cavity around the nut, thats built in weakness. (Shamus, are the head cores supposed to be hollow around the nut?
Afternoon Mr K,

I had started to write in this thread a couple of times but each time pulled out as my thoughts on this are more thoughts than supported with hard evidence (And I'm not taking a couple of heads appart to prove it).

This is not the first time that I have herd of this happening but jury is out as to whether this is a bad batch of shells or a new design flaw.

The shell is supposed to be thick enough that it can support the bolt. As you know, generally the shells have had pretty thick bases and done a great job for years.

Some have complained that oral capability is such that the ode todger doesn't go in the same direction that it would with a breather (certainly not me, don't do that to a poor TPE lass). Lol, the old stick it in and watch the eyes pop out

I digress. the M16 connector is where the todger would go if it went straight in rather than up and for some time I have suspected that they have been playing around with that area to improve oral capability (look at all the base changes in new heads over the past couple of years (its an adventure every time a new head arrives in the Shire!)).

That means that an area that was previously filled with much thicker epoxy is (potentially) empty. That sort of makes sense now as to why so many new heads now have metal base plates over the resin base. But then the head doesn't fit to many bodies so well.

If the head shell is so thin that any attempt to repair results in further collapse (and assuming the head cannot now be returned as this is a manufacturing / design fault) would it not make more sense to remove all of the fragile thin resin and fit a metal plate with the female M16 attatched through that. And the plate attached to the skull with JB weld as I cannot see filling the gap behind with space filler being firm enough to support the weight of the head.

The alternate approach of filling the gap assumes that the space is restricted but we wouldn't know that without taking the shell appart.

If it were restricted then filling it out with Epoxy Resin and securing the female M16 into that would work (ensure that the end going into the fibreglass has a penny glued onto it to stop the fibreglass coming up onto the thread... And yep, I know that its illegal to use currency that way but whats cheaper than a washer that litterally costs a penny!).

These are just my thoughts. Such is based on bits and peices that I've picked up in reading but not on any real published facts or personal experience of the issue.

If the above about playing around with shells for (I would imagine) even fewer comments made about Oral capabilpity than LHP then, dear manufacturers, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!". Hands were broken, Necks were broken, feet were broken... All great work in sorting those out... Heads... Heads have always been absolutely fine. They don't need fixing... Well, unless thats adding the option to have pointy ears on all heads. Thats a fix that I could get on board with
Old 23-06-2022, 12:58 PM
Platinum Diamond Member

Cheers MR S pretty much my thoughts too. Filling that cavity WILL increase the strength as the resin / Epoxy / Filler will adhere to a very large internal surface area and become an integral part of the lower shell. Doing that and keeping the threads on the M16 fitting may not be so easy.

K

"...there was an odd smell of fish coming from it.." The Tale of Fluffy Kittenpaws
Old 23-06-2022, 02:48 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys yes a total head scratch for me

I intend to do the following
Use spray foam expander to fill part of the head leaving about 3 inches to the top

I then will use fibreglass filler to fill the rest and leave enough for the bolt thread once that has set then I will epoxy resin the thread in its place
20 quid for all items so if it fails then I will get another head lol I may just a metal plate to boost the support of the top as well
Old 23-06-2022, 05:29 PM
Platinum Diamond Member

That might well work, as long as theres fibreglass filler contacting between the nut and the shell strongly. If its just held by foam, its going to fail fast as the foam has very little strength

K

Old 23-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrot View Post
That might well work, as long as theres fibreglass filler contacting between the nut and the shell strongly. If its just held by foam, its going to fail fast as the foam has very little strength

K
Yes I understand that, I have left enough room to hopefully make a good strong bond for the nut etc I will not be perfect but hey you won't be able to see it
Old 23-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

That was the extent of the damage, so filled with expanding foam let it set, them applied fibreglass resin with the sheets just soaked the sheets in pieces to build up, I used epoxy resin as the bolt which still had the plastic putty on it touched the oral outside of the fibreglass tube waited for that to set then continued to apply more fibreglass and resin, put head bolt in and continued to apply around the bolt also some resong went into the bolt hole so hence why I did this, I doubt it will come out now lol , waited to set and here is the result, gonna let it cure for a couple of days before either filler and sand down or just leave it not sure yet,, tried head on Mandy's body to make sure it all fitted and it does pheeeew, anything is possible with good advice from this wonderful group

Last edited by Djjusty 69; 23-06-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:53 PM
Diamond Member

Looks like a quality repair.