UK Love Doll Forums  
Untitled Document

Go Back   UK Love Doll Forums > Help forum

Old 16-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Golden Diamond Member

I can see the points for and against it, one reason for it is something that hasn't been mentioned but probably happens a lot...you open a thread with many replies already there but you can't think of a reply that isn't virtually copying what someone else or many someone's has already said so there seems almost no point in posting an identical comment.

Many moons ago I ran a small Zetaboards (Doesn't exist now) forum and searched for coding to add a like button, the only code I could find included a dislike button, which I didn't want, so I did a sneaky minor modification to effectively eradicate the dislike button. What I found was the like button got used and comments were still posted by those who prefer the written word over a click, or those who had something to add and embellish on the topic, the like button did not render the thread stale.

There are threads where a like button would be very useful, such as the portrait thread where simply clicking a like button could leave the thread content as just the posted photos. I often want to show that I like a photo without spamming that thread with comments.

On the flip side, you can't tell from a click of a like button whether someone actually likes your content or comment, or are just being nice to everyone, and there could be times when someone doesn't get any like clicks and feels as bad as when they recieve few or no comments. A dislike button could also be abused if a member spits out his/her dummy for whatever reason and decides to dislike everything someone posts, I've seen that happen too.

There are other changes I would like to see besides a possible like button...
Old 16-11-2021, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoL annaerB View Post
There are threads where a like button would be very useful, such as the portrait thread where simply clicking a like button could leave the thread content as just the posted photos. I often want to show that I like a photo without spamming that thread with comments.
That is actually a really, really good point.

I severely restrict my own commenting in the threads Allie and Maria, Tommo's Tardis Temptations, Tighes threads and the portraits thread as you know me. I have a this natural ability to take threads in a completely different direction (Its a gift ).

For those sort of threads I can see the benefit of a like button.
Old 16-11-2021, 04:54 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can see the points for and against it, one reason for it is something that hasn't been mentioned but probably happens a lot...you open a thread with many replies already there but you can't think of a reply that isn't virtually copying what someone else or many someone's has already said so there seems almost no point in posting an identical comment.

Many moons ago I ran a small Zetaboards (Doesn't exist now) forum and searched for coding to add a like button, the only code I could find included a dislike button, which I didn't want, so I did a sneaky minor modification to effectively eradicate the dislike button. What I found was the like button got used and comments were still posted by those who prefer the written word over a click, or those who had something to add and embellish on the topic, the like button did not render the thread stale.

On the flip side, you can't tell from a click of a like button whether someone actually likes your content or comment, or are just being nice to everyone, and there could be times when someone doesn't get any like clicks and feels as bad as when they recieve few or no comments. A dislike button could also be abused if a member spits out his/her dummy for whatever reason and decides to dislike everything someone posts, I've seen that happen too.

There are other changes I would like to see besides a possible like button...
My Evil Plot Foiled
Old 16-11-2021, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Many moons ago I ran a small Zetaboards (Doesn't exist now) forum and searched for coding to add a like button, the only code I could find included a dislike button, which I didn't want, so I did a sneaky minor modification to effectively eradicate the dislike button. What I found was the like button got used and comments were still posted by those who prefer the written word over a click, or those who had something to add and embellish on the topic, the like button did not render the thread stale
I like this

I think like buttons are great, they allow quick easy ways of showing appreciation for something and getting likes gives that little hit of dopamine and encouragement to the person receiving the likes.

Dislike buttons SUCK, all they offer is a low-effort way to be negative. Offering people an anonymous way to be mean never works out well. Reading Shamus' first post it looks like he's assuming that like and dislike buttons come hand in hand, but they don't have to (and shouldn't).

I reckon being able to like a post would be an interesting feature.

I was thinking about being able to like images rather than posts. In theory an image from an album could be linked in a thread and the likes it generates get added to it in the album. The same image might be linked in multiple threads and all the likes it gathers wherever it is linked could all be added to its total. But... That'd be a world of pain to set up, and it all goes out the window for images that aren't uploaded to albums, so it's a fundamentally flawed train of thought anyway.
Old 16-11-2021, 06:05 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Quote:
You open a thread with many replies already there but you can't think of a reply that isn't virtually copying what someone else or many someone's has already said so there seems almost no point in posting an identical comment.
This. I have often wished for a like or thanks button here for this exact reason. And as for the irony of having to quote it to +1 it when a thanks button would work just as well ...
Old 16-11-2021, 06:36 PM
Gold Excellence Member

Yes it would be nice to have a like or thanks button, but this forum software was written well before the rise of social media, so nobody thought or cared about it.

Adding own extensions to an existing software might break your ability to update so it is best to leave it as it is and customize only the things the coders left. Newer versions might have it (or not) so the post from algae already says most of what can be said.

In short - don't mess with the code

Jo

Laura - Isabella - Natalia - Maggie - Ylvie - Hanna - Kat - Minis
Old 16-11-2021, 07:05 PM
Diamond Member

If you mess with the code the sentinels will come i saw it on a documentary... i think it was called The Matrix
Old 16-11-2021, 09:06 PM
Golden Diamond Member

Thank you guys, you have reminded me that it was initially a 'Like' button but I changed it to a 'Thanks' button I am going back to before I was here so over 10 years ago
Old 07-02-2022, 11:17 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Its a yes from me

I have been looking for a like button when I've seen some good posts and pics, I would love to see a thumbs up. Thumbs down button not needed.